Mexican Tuna Salad spices up a classic, for a high-protein lunch or snack. Tomatoes, avocado, taco sauce, sour cream and lime juice help make this salad a hit.
I don’t make it often, but tuna salad is one of my favorite things to make for lunch. And Mexican is my favorite “theme” to serve for dinner (if I had to choose). So it makes sense for me to combine the two. Turns out, Mexican-style flavors work really well with tuna. I enjoyed this Mexican Tuna Salad scooped into an avocado half, served with corn tortilla chips for dipping. This is a tasty, healthy lunch or snack option that can work for those who are carb-conscious too. Simply replace the tortilla chips with sliced red bell peppers for dipping.
More Mexican Recipes from Foodtastic Mom
- Air Fryer Mexican Pizza
- Mexican Rice and Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Chicken Soft Tacos
- Air Fryer Chimichangas
Ingredients for Mexican Tuna Salad Recipe
- Wild Caught Albacore White Tuna – use two, 6.4 ounce pouches; there is no need to drain them. If you prefer to use canned tuna, be sure to drain the tuna before proceeding with the recipe
- Mayonnaise – I like Duke’s or Hellman’s the best
- Sour Cream – lightens the dressing a bit instead of using all mayonnaise, plus goes along with the Mexican theme
- Taco Sauce – Taco Bell Mild Sauce is the absolute best taco sauce, in my opinion
- Lemon Juice – the lemon juice adds a bright flavor and helps to prevent the fresh avocado from turning brown
- Lime Juice – the fresh lime juice pairs well with the avocado, cilantro and taco sauce for a familiar, Mexican-style flavor
- Pickled Jalapeno Peppers – I use the canned slices of jalapeño that are commonly used as a topping for nachos
- Avocado – use one small avocado; here is a helpful tutorial for how to cut an avocado
- Tomato – use a sharp knife to help finely chop the tomato
How do you make Mexican Tuna Salad?
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, taco sauce, lemon and lime juices and salt until smooth. Add the finely chopped jalapeño pepper and stir until combined.
In a large bowl, add the tuna and use a fork to break it up. Add the chopped avocado and tomato. Add the mayonnaise and taco sauce dressing and stir until well combined.
Do I have to use cilantro?
Genetics are why people either love or hate cilantro. If you are one of those who are turned off by cilantro because it tastes like soap, definitely skip the cilantro in this recipe. It will still taste delicious without it.
How many calories are in a 1/2 cup of tuna salad?
In 1/2 cup of my recipe for Mexican Tuna Salad, there are about 194 calories. I personally like a more generous serving, so the recipe card is calculated for 4 servings, which is a generous 3/4 cup. So if you divide this recipe into four servings, it’s 258 calories. Either way, it’s a relatively healthy meal that is packed with protein.
Is tuna salad a good source of protein?
Yes! A 4-ounce serving of water-packed, Albacore (white) tuna contains about 26 grams of protein. And the addition of fresh avocado to this tuna salad recipe increases both the protein and healthy fat content per serving.
What is a healthy substitute for mayonnaise in tuna?
Fat free or low fat Greek yogurt is a terrific substitute for the mayo in this recipe.
Store the tuna salad in airtight containers in the fridge for up to three days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe! The dressing will separate and result in an unpleasant texture when thawed.
There are many ways to serve this healthy Mexican tuna salad. Serve it with romaine lettuce as shows as lettuce wraps. Make it into a sandwich. Scoop it on top of tostadas or crackers sprinkled with cheese. Or as a dip with fresh veggies. Also, don’t like tuna? Make this recipe using canned or rotisserie chicken instead!
- Fresh tomatoes not so ripe at the store? Here’s three ways to ripen a tomato at home.
- My favorite pairing knife for chopping tomatoes.
- Chef’s knife for helping to prepare the avocado.
- Brand of tuna I use in this recipe
Mexican Tuna Salad
- 12.8 oz Albacore (white) tuna Use two, 6.4 ounce pouches
- 1 small avocado chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp taco sauce
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 4 pickled jalapeño slices finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, taco sauce, lemon and lime juices and salt until smooth. Add the finely chopped jalapeño pepper and stir until combined.
- In a large bowl, add the tuna and use a fork to break it up. Add the chopped avocado and tomato. Add the mayonnaise and taco sauce dressing and gently toss together until well combined.
- Allow the tuna salad to chill in the fridge for at least one hour before serving.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (Amazon Associate), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on when you click to purchase.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN to Pinterest and print this recipe! Also like and tag ‘Foodtastic Mom’ on Facebook and Instagram if you make this recipe!