Instant Pot Beef Bolognese Pasta Sauce has big, slow-cooked Italian flavor in just a fraction of the time, making it perfect for busy school night dinners. Thank you to the Ohio Beef Council for sponsoring this post. All opinions are mine alone.
I have been making a slow cooked beef bolognese pasta sauce for years now. I make enough to sauce three pounds of pasta. So when I make it our family will eat one third of the sauce and then I freeze the rest for future dinners.
With my kids heading back to school and thinking about the new beef recipe I wanted to create for busy school nights, I decided to get out my Instant Pot and see if it could create the same delicious beef bolognese sauce but in just a fraction of the time.
I’ll be honest, I was sent an Instant Pot to review a cookbook earlier this year and I haven’t used it much. Partly because it doesn’t fit in any of my kitchen cabinets – and my kitchen remodel is less than 2 years old! Since I’m a creature of habit and have so many slow cooker recipes I just haven’t felt motivated to add a new “gadget” to my personal cooking habits. This Instant Pot Beef Bolognese Pasta Sauce might just change my mind.
With my Instant Pot, I can make enough sauce for two pounds of pasta at once (maybe three if I had the 8-quart size) but the whole process takes less than one hour from start to finish – that’s including clean up! So I’m definitely going to be adding this recipe to my meal prepping plans this fall for sure.
More Tips and Information about Instant Pot Beef Bolognese Pasta Sauce with Ohio Beef:
- The recipe I’m sharing makes enough beef bolognese to sauce one pound of pasta. Feel free to double the recipe and freeze half for later. The sauce freezes well for up to one month.
- This is the Instant Pot I used for creating this recipe.
- I use this kitchen gadget to help break up the meat as it is sautéing.
- For student athletes and active kids, there is no better choice than beef. The protein in beef helps build muscle and strong bodies, and exercise is more effective when paired with a high-protein diet.
- A 3-ounce serving of beef (about the size of an iPhone) provides more than 10 essential nutrients and 25 grams of protein for less than 150 calories.
- Ground beef is a go-to when feeding a hungry family in a hurry. When purchasing, be sure to select ground beef with a bright cherry-red color that is firm to the touch and doesn’t have excessive liquid in the package. Store ground beef in your refrigerator for 1-2 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- Visit www.OhioBeef.org, and follow the Ohio Beef Council on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for beef nutrition facts, cooking tips recipes and to meet Ohio’s beef farmers. Use #OhioBeef to share photos of your healthy meals this school year!
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Instant Pot Beef Bolognese Pasta Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 lb ground sirloin 90% lean
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 16 oz spaghetti cooked according to package directions
- Turn Instant Pot to the Sauté function. Once it says HOT, add the butter to melt.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, sugar, salt, ground thyme and cook for about one minute more, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the ground sirloin and sauté until no longer pink, breaking up the beef as you sauté. Add the red wine and allow to cook for a couple of minutes, to cook off the alcohol content and leave behind the flavor.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the pot and stir well.
- Turn the Sauté function off. With the lid set to "Sealing" put the lid on the Instant Pot.
- Press the "Manual", "Pressure Cook" or "Soup/Broth" button (depending on the model of your Instant Pot) and press the down arrow, setting the timer for 15 minutes.
- Allow the steam to natural release.
- While the sauce is pressure cooking, boil the pasta and drain.
- Taste the sauce. Add more salt if necessary. Serve the bolognese atop the spaghetti, topped with chopped parsley and Parmesan if desired.
More recipes with Ohio Beef:
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
- The Best Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker French Onion Meatloaf
- Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Cincinnati Chili
I still haven’t broken down and purchased an Instant Pot, I’m running out of space in my kitchen!! Beef Bolognese is one of my all-time favorite pasta dishes, and that sauce looks delicious!
Thank you Rae. And yes the Instant Pot does take up a lot of space. But I’m starting to see the value in having one 🙂
Jamie Young says
I’m all about delicious and easy meals now that school is back in session! My kiddos will gobble this up, thank you!
This looks so incredibly comforting, filling, and belly-warming! I’m so ready for these cozy cool weather meals. Bring it on!
Me too! Thanks so much Dana!
Jenni LeBaron says
What a fantastic bolognese. I live that you chose sirloin for this. Comfort food at its best!
Yes, the leaner the better for the ground beef since you’re not draining it. I usually use ground sirloin in all my recipes – love it!
this is making me drool! looks fab, I don’t have an instant pot though 🙁 I think you could adapt it to a slow cooker though yes?
Yes. Just cook on the stovetop through step 4 (stirring in the crushed tomatoes). Then transfer the sauce to your slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 – 8 hours. Or HIGH for 4 hours.
I just got an instant pot and have been searching for great recipes. This dish looks so tasty, hearty, and simple! I’ll have to try it!
You MUST try it. Come back and tell us what you think when you do 🙂
Nathan Wyper says
I love how easy and delicious this looks, great recipe! thanks
You’re welcome! It was more delicious than I could have possibly hoped – since I was somewhat skeptical of the Instant Pot until now, haha.
This is just the ultimate comfort food isn’t it. I love how easy it is to do in the instant pot too.
Yes it is so comforting… and simple!
This looks and sounds so tempting! I love my instapost and would love to gice this a try!
I hope you do try this recipe. Thanks Soniya!
Lisa Oliver says
Tonight is the second time thst I am making the Bolognese. It was an ABSOLUTE hit. It was DELICIOUS!! My crew requested it and I was eager to comply. I use my Instant Pot regularly. It has turned out to be one of the best purchases that I’ve made. I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth out of it. This recipe is absolutely perfect for it. Thank you for sharing.
I love hearing this. Thank you so much for taking the time to rate and comment. You’re welcome!