These Green Chicken Enchiladas bake in a high heat oven to improve the texture of the corn tortillas. They are a quick and easy dinner to make.
I think I have mentioned before that Mexican is my favorite food. When I go out for it, I usually stick with burritos and chimichangas instead of enchiladas. And that’s because I have been slow to warm up to corn tortillas. I like fried corn chips. But not usually soft corn tortillas. So when developing this recipe, the final texture was important. These enchiladas are stuffed with a creamy chicken filling. Then brushed lightly with oil and baked at high heat. This basically oven fries the corn tortillas making them a bit crispy. The final step is to smother the green chicken enchiladas with a tomatillo salsa and lots of shredded cheese. Then putting them back in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese. My whole family enjoyed these!
How to Make Green Chicken Enchiladas
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a casserole dish with vegetable oil. Mix together the chicken, cream cheese, green chiles, lime juice and seasonings. Fill each corn tortilla with a generous 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture. Place them in the casserole dish. Brush the tops lightly with vegetable oil. Bake the enchiladas for about 25 minutes. Remove them from the oven and top with salsa verde and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Place them back in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve the enchiladas with sour cream.
Calories in Green Chicken Enchiladas
I found the coolest calorie counter online recently. Just type in the recipe and number of servings it makes. Then it instantly tells you the calorie count. There are 300 calories in each of these Green Chicken Enchiladas. Use cooking spray instead of vegetable oil and less cheese if you are trying to reduce the number of calories you consume per day.
- Rotisserie chicken makes very quick work of putting together these enchiladas
- The corn tortillas I use in this recipe
- The salsa verde I use in this recipe
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Green Chicken Enchiladas
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 4 oz green chiles drained
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a baking dish.
- Mix together the cream cheese, green chiles, lime juice, salt, garlic powder and cumin until well blended. Stir in the chicken.
- Fill each corn tortilla with a generous 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Brush the tops of the enchiladas with vegetable oil.
- Bake the enchiladas for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the tortillas are looking crumbly and feel crisp.
- Remove the dish from the oven and top the enchiladas with the salsa and shredded cheese.
- Return the enchiladas to the oven and bake for about 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the enchiladas with red pepper flakes if you want a little more heat. Serve the enchiladas with sour cream.