These Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas taste just like the ones you order from your favorite Mexican restaurant.
Chimichangas are a guilty pleasure of mine. My fondness for them began in high school when my friends and I would frequent our local Chi Chi’s restaurant. I still order them out to this day. So I wondered if I could recreate a really good chicken chimichanga in my air fryer at home. Good news – I can, I did and I’m sharing the recipe with you!
The texture of these Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas is spot on. No deep frying. Just a light brush of vegetable oil on the bottom of the air fryer basket. And on the top of the tortillas. Don’t be tempted to use cooking spray. The additives in the spray can damage the non-stick coating on your air fryer basket.
I decided to add rice to the chicken filling of my chimichangas. I love rice and always like an excuse to use it in a recipe. Plus my kids are growing and constantly hungry (they’re currently 12 and 14) so more filling is better.
Watch how to cook rice:
The other terrific thing about this recipe is that it is made for busy families. You can eat these chimichangas in shifts. Which is pretty much how a lot of our weeknights go these days. Prepare the filling and then as each kid/adult gets home, assemble one or two chimichangas and air fry. So easy and so tasty!
More tips for Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas:
- This is the brand of air fryer I own and used in developing this recipe.
- I use soft taco size tortillas – burrito size are too big.
- Use corn tortillas (instead of flour) to make this a gluten-free recipe.
- I use this pastry brush for brushing the oil on the basket and tortillas.
- I use this cookie scoop to measure the filling for the chimichangas.
- The toppings are up to you but to make these were like restaurant-style chimichangas, I topped them with a white cheese sauce similar to this.
- These chimichangas would also be delicious filled with pulled pork instead of chicken. I have a recipe here for really good (not BBQ) pulled pork to use in quick weeknight meals.
- Find my recipe for rice here.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas
- 1 rotisserie chicken white meat shredded - reserve the dark meat for another use
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup salsa use your favorite brand - I like a green salsa with this recipe
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 soft taco size flour tortillas about 8 inches across
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- white queso cheese sauce
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- sour cream
- Brush the bottom of the air fryer basket with vegetable oil. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, rice, salsa and salt until well blended.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the chicken filling in the center of each tortilla. Roll them up tightly with the ends folded in to seal in the filling.
- Place the chimichangas, two at a time and seam side down, in the oiled basket. Brush the tops of the chimichangas lightly with vegetable oil.
- Air fry the chimichangas for about 4 minutes at 360 degrees. Open the air fryer and use metal tongs to flip the chimichanges. Continue to air fry for another 4 minutes until the chimichangas are hot and browned.
- The filling will keep in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to two days so the chimichangas can be prepared as needed.
- Top the chimichangas with white queso cheese sauce, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and guacamole.
More Mexican Recipes:
- Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Chicken Soft Tacos
- The Best Taco Soup
- Al Pastor Pork Tacos
- Mexican Rice and Bean Soup