This Easy Italian Wedding Soup uses frozen meatballs, but it still tastes like homemade. Your family will love this homey soup.
Anyone else’s kids getting more picky as teenagers? My son used to eat a wide variety of foods, including vegetables. But now he more often than not turns up his nose at my cooking. It’s starting to give me a complex. Currently he prefers boxes of macaroni and cheese and cans of Chef Boyardee. I’m really hoping it’s just a phase.
In the meantime I’m remembering his childhood favorites I could always get him to eat. Italian Wedding Soup is one of them. These days I don’t usually have time to make mini meatballs from scratch. So this Easy Italian Wedding Soup uses help from frozen meatballs. But it still tastes homemade. And it can be on the table quickly for a busy weeknight meal.
How to make Easy Italian Wedding Soup
Prepare the mirepoix (that’s just chopped onion, celery and carrot). Melt some butter in a soup pot and add the vegetables. Cook until starting to soften. Season with Herbs de Provence, garlic powder, salt and red pepper flakes. Add the meatballs. Add the chicken broth and bring to a gentle boil. Cover the soup and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the orzo pasta and continue to cook until the pasta is plumped up and tender, about 7 minutes. Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice. Add a little fresh parsley. Serve.
What to serve with Easy Italian Wedding Soup
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Easy Italian Wedding Soup
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 20 oz. pkg frozen meatballs
- 1 1/2 tsp Herbs de Provence
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften.
- Season with Herbs de Provence, garlic powder, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Add the meatballs and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the orzo pasta and stir well. Continue to simmer the soup until the pasta is cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and parsley. Season with more salt if necessary. Serve.
More Soup Recipes
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- French Onion Chicken Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Alphabet Italian Wedding Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup