This Confetti Ham Salad is not your mom or grandma’s ham salad and that is a good thing. Crushed pineapple for a little sweetness is just one of the surprising ingredients in this ham salad recipe.
I grew up eating ham salad that my Mom made from scratch and she always used a meat grinder (which attached to her KitchenAid mixer) to make it. I loved eating it for lunches. It was sweet, salty and delicious and to this day ham salad is a comfort food for me. But these days I don’t want to be getting my meat grinder out just for a little bit of deli ham. So I decided to really revamp one of my childhood favorites and make this Confetti Ham Salad.
How to make ham salad without a meat grinder:
The meat grinder gives ham salad a more “classic” deli-style texture. But it is not necessary for making ham salad at home. I buy my favorite variety of deli ham (sliced thin) and chop it finely with my chef’s knife. So simple and no special equipment needed.
What goes in ham salad?
Basic ham salad is just chopped ham, mayonnaise, pickles and sometimes onion. Some people add sweet pickles, others add relish. I’ve seen a lot of varieties with chopped, hard-boiled eggs. I went a completely different direction with this recipe and I think you’ll be really pleased with the results. Keep scrolling for the recipe!
Can ham salad be frozen?
It can but I am not a fan of freezing salads that contain mayonnaise. The mayonnaise generally does not fair well in the freezer. It separates and when it thaws can be both watery and oily – yuck. So I do not recommend freezing this ham salad. This recipe for confetti ham salad will last up to three days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. Toss any leftovers beyond three days.
- A meat grinder is not necessary for this recipe but if you are looking for a meat grinder attachment for your KitchenAid mixer, you can find it HERE.
- This is the chef’s knife I use to chop my ham.
- I like these air-tight containers for storing leftover ham salad in the refrigerator.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Confetti Ham Salad
- 1/2 lb deli ham sliced thin
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 1/4 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- Use a sharp knife to finely chop the ham.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, cream cheese, chives and Worcestershire sauce until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped ham, pineapple, red pepper and onion.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
More Salad Recipes:
- Easiest Broccoli Salad
- Chicken Salad Recipe
- Spinach Strawberry Salad
- Thai Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Corn and Edamame Sesame Salad