Thai Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps are made with simple ingredients but have a bold flavor.
I was craving chicken salad but not a basic chicken salad. I’ve always liked Thai flavors so that’s why I created this chicken salad. And since everyone seems to be on a low-carb diet these days lettuce wraps seemed to make more sense than a tortilla. These wraps are so intensely flavored but the ingredients are very simple. The dressing for this chicken salad is mayo, chili garlic sauce, a little lime juice, ground ginger, sugar and salt. It hits the four elements of Thai food – spicy, sour, salty and sweet.
What is the best chicken for chicken salad?
I prefer to use white meat chicken breast for my chicken salad. It’s a personal preference but chicken salad seems like a lighter option for a meal (despite the mayonnaise) so I prefer chicken breasts. Ideally I like to poach my chicken at home. It has a fresh, clean flavor to it – making it a blank canvas to add lots of bold flavor. You can also purchase a rotisserie chicken from the store to make chicken salad if you are shorter on time.
Watch how to poach chicken breasts:
Tips for Thai Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps:
- This salad can be made ahead and stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- I like these containers for storing salads like this.
- Look for Boston, Bibb or Butter lettuce for these wraps.
- This is the brand of chili garlic sauce that I use.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Thai Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- 2 large chicken breasts cooked and chopped or shredded
- 1/2 cup carrots I buy shredded carrots and then chop them fine
- 1/2 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews finely chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Boston, Bibb or Butter lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooked chicken, carrots, red pepper, green onions and cashews.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, chili garlic sauce, lime juice, sugar, salt and ginger.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken salad and stir well to combine.
- Serve the chicken salad wrapped in lettuce leaves.
- The salad can be stored in an air-tight container for up to three days.
Luci's Morsels says
Ooh! I love the idea of adding Thai flavors into a traditional chicken salad!! And something about thai food screams lettuce wraps over tortillas to me as well, so this is perfect!!
It really livens up a plain old chicken salad. I hope you try them. Thanks Luci!
Jacqueline Debono says
Wow Thai flavoured chicken salad, yes please! This I have to try! Looks and sounds so yummy!
It’s a must try 🙂
Yes!! This recipe is right up my alley. I love that it is light, fresh and tasty. I think lunches like these are excellent as you get the protein without all of the heavy carbs etc. Cheers for sharing!!
You’re very welcome!
This salad recipe sounds amazing! Loving the idea of poaching chicken and with all the spices you have aaded, I can almost taste it already, yum!
Thank you so much Neha!
oh yess! I’ve been a fan of Thai flavorings as well, Surely trying this one out!
Happy to hear it!
Alexandra @ It's Not Complicated Recipes says
So delicious and packed full of flavour! These wraps are such a hit in my household!
Thank you so much Alexandra!