Thai Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps are made with simple ingredients but have a bold flavor.
I was craving chicken salad but not a basic chicken salad. I’ve always liked Thai flavors so that’s why I created this chicken salad. And since everyone seems to be on a low-carb diet these days lettuce wraps seemed to make more sense than a tortilla. These wraps are so intensely flavored but the ingredients are very simple. The dressing for this chicken salad is mayo, chili garlic sauce, a little lime juice, ground ginger, sugar and salt. It hits the four elements of Thai food – spicy, sour, salty and sweet.
What is the best chicken for chicken salad?
I prefer to use white meat chicken breast for my chicken salad. It’s a personal preference but chicken salad seems like a lighter option for a meal (despite the mayonnaise) so I prefer chicken breasts. Ideally I like to poach my chicken at home. It has a fresh, clean flavor to it – making it a blank canvas to add lots of bold flavor. You can also purchase a rotisserie chicken from the store to make chicken salad if you are shorter on time.
Watch how to poach chicken breasts:
Tips for Thai Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps:
- This salad can be made ahead and stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- I like these containers for storing salads like this.
- Look for Boston, Bibb or Butter lettuce for these wraps.
- This is the brand of chili garlic sauce that I use.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Thai Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- 2 large chicken breasts cooked and chopped or shredded
- 1/2 cup carrots I buy shredded carrots and then chop them fine
- 1/2 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews finely chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Boston, Bibb or Butter lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooked chicken, carrots, red pepper, green onions and cashews.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, chili garlic sauce, lime juice, sugar, salt and ginger.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken salad and stir well to combine.
- Serve the chicken salad wrapped in lettuce leaves.
- The salad can be stored in an air-tight container for up to three days.