This Chicken Salad Recipe is made with either poached or rotisserie chicken breasts for perfect sandwiches and wraps.
Besides grilling the warmer months make me look forward to picnics. Probably my favorite thing to pack for a picnic is chicken salad sandwiches. After testing numerous recipes I have determined that I am very picky about my chicken salad. I prefer to make my own chicken salad recipe because that way I can control the quality of chicken. There is nothing worse than biting into a “gourmet” chicken salad sandwich from the deli, only to get a big mouthful of gristly, fatty chicken. You know what I’m talking about! Besides the control I have over the chicken, I believe I’ve really perfected the dressing for my chicken salad recipe.
How to make chicken salad at home:
Start with poached or rotisserie chicken breast for the best chicken salad. Finely chop the red onions and let them soak in the white wine vinegar while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients – this helps to tame the harsh “bite” of the onion. Chopped celery, fresh parsley and tarragon are tossed with the chicken. And the dressing is made by whisking together some mayonnaise, salt, lemon pepper and a little sugar with the vinegar soaked onions.
Watch how to poach chicken for this chicken salad recipe:
How long does chicken salad last and can you freeze it?
Chicken salad should be tossed if left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. If stored in an air-tight container, chicken salad will last for 3 to 5 days (I generally err on the side of caution and would keep it 3 days at most). And unfortunately chicken salad does not freeze well. The water in the celery will make the whole salad too watery to be edible when thawed.
- This is a great serving solution to keep your chicken salad fresh when serving it on a buffet or outdoors.
- I like these air-tight containers for storing my food in the refrigerator.
- Be sure to wash and dry your fresh herbs before chopping them and adding them to the chicken salad.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken poached or rotisserie
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 large rib celery finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Add the red onion and vinegar to a small bowl. Allow the onion to soak in the vinegar while are are preparing the rest of your ingredients.
- Toss the chopped chicken together with the celery, parsley and tarragon in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, salt, lemon pepper and mayonnaise to the bowl with the vinegar and onion. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the chicken and stir well to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to chill for about an hour before serving.
- This recipe can easily be multiplied to serve more people.