I made a major upgrade to a classic recipe with this Cheesy Pimento Broccoli Casserole.
Green bean casserole is so popular on Thanksgiving, but I’ve always been partial to broccoli. Probably because I like broccoli to eat steamed or roasted better than I do green beans. So if I’m going to slather a vegetable in cheese and fat, it might as well be a favorite. Obviously adding so many calories to a perfectly good vegetable isn’t necessary (or probably prudent). But for the holidays I still do it anyway. So that’s why I’m sharing this recipe for Cheesy Pimento Broccoli Casserole today.
I’d never made this version of a broccoli casserole before today. I had kind of a eureka moment in the shower when thinking about my upcoming recipe ideas for the month. This happens a lot to me. Pimento cheese just made sense to combine with broccoli. And I used my baked macaroni and cheese recipe as a jumping off point for how to make the cheesy sauce.
You’ll find no cream of mushroom soup in this recipe but instead a blend of cottage cheese, mayonnaise, egg, cheddar cheese and a little lemon juice for the casserole binder (or sauce). I added some pimentos to my steamed, frozen broccoli and topped it all with buttery Ritz crackers. I have to say, I think it’s the best broccoli casserole I’ve ever eaten. Please try this recipe and let me know what you think!
Tips for Cheesy Pimento Broccoli Casserole:
- I use frozen broccoli florets in a microwavable bag. Steam the broccoli in the microwave before mixing it with the other ingredients – no extra dishes to dirty.
- The casserole dish I used to bake this recipe is similar to this one.
- A small food processor is perfect for blending the cheesy sauce for this casserole.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Cheesy Pimento Broccoli Casserole
- 2 10.4 oz pkgs frozen broccoli florets
- 1 4 oz jar pimentos drained
- 1/2 cup large curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup Ritz crackers measured after being crushed
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
- Place both bags of broccoli in microwave, instruction side up, and microwave for 6 minutes. Open bags and drain the broccoli in a strainer.
- Place the broccoli and drained pimentos in a large bowl.
- In a food processor, add the cottage cheese, mayonnaise, 1 1/2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, egg, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the broccoli and pimentos. Stir until well combined. Spread evenly into the prepared casserole dish.
- In a clean bowl, combine the crushed Ritz crackers with the melted butter. Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the broccoli casserole. Top the casserole with the buttered Ritz crackers.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, for 35 - 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
Heidy L. McCallum says
Wow, what a very interesting upgrade, the cottage cheese caught my attention in your recipe. I will have to try this, your images look wonderful. I bet it tastes as amazing at it looks. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks so much Heidy!
Marc @ No Recipes says
I was starting to get a little bored with green bean casserole, and I love the idea of using broccoli. This looks delicious!
Thanks Marc, I hope you try it!
this looks delicious! I’m with you on the broccoli, especially in a casserole
Thank you Rebecca!
Caitlyn Erhardt says
This has my husband’s name written all over it! He is obsessed with broccoli and cheese everything and I know he will love this!
I hope you make it for him. Thanks Caitlyn!
This is such a healthy and filling casserole! Thanks for sharing!
Maxine Lampe says
It is fantastic! Can you make it ahead and reheat it?
I have reheated the leftovers before and it was still good, so yes. Thanks for stopping by!