If you are trying to keep a hungry teenage boy satisfied like me, then you will appreciate this recipe for Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole.
They say that necessity is the mother of invention, right? Well that is where this recipe comes from. The necessity of feeding my growing (and growing) teenage boy. And he loves this Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
So my son is 13 years old. We have some height in the family genes. He is currently 5′ 11″ tall with a size 13 shoe that seems to be getting smaller. He is a swimmer, a baritone player in his 8th grade band, he goes on monthly camp outs with his Boy Scout troop and he plays flag football once per week. I feel like we have at least one or two more growth spurts in our future and I cannot keep him full!
The struggle is real, you guys. Whole boxes of cereal disappear within a day or two. He sits with us at dinner and eats two full helpings and says he’s still hungry! He is a strong, muscular, man-child. I feel like I am feeding two additional men in our house all of a sudden, when really, it’s just Caleb.
So that is where this recipe for Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole came from. I need to fill my boy up! I just need to remember for myself to only eat about 1/4 of the portion that he does. Our family is in love with Mexican food. So any way that I can find to combine Mexican flavors on our dinner table is a win!
Tips for Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole:
- Bake this casserole in a 9×11 dish like this one.
- This recipe re-heats really well and is perfect for packing in a lunch thermos.
- We like to top our servings with sour cream and black olives. Other topping ideas include, chopped avocado, lime wedges, salsa, hot sauce and lettuce.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can nacho cheese sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey 99% fat free
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa your favorite brand
- 1 15 oz can petite cut diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips crushed
- sour cream and black olives for serving
- Drain the tomatoes. Add the tomato juice to the water and salt. Bring to a boil Add in the rice. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Put a lid on the pot. Cook for at least 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet cook the turkey until no longer pink. Add the taco seasoning and salsa. Simmer for a few minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir the nacho cheese into the cooked rice.
- Spread the cheesy rice into the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Top the cheesy rice with the drained, diced tomatoes.
- Top the tomatoes with the black beans.
- Top the black beans with cooked turkey.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and remove the foil.
- Top the turkey with the shredded cheese and the crushed tortilla chips. Return the dish to the oven to bake for about 10 more minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Serve the casserole topped with sour cream and black olives.