Your favorite cheesy potato casserole gets an upgrade with shredded chicken and Mexican flavors in these chicken nacho cheesy potatoes. This recipe was originally published on Tastes of Lizzy T.
Cheesy potatoes are my kryptonite. I’ve never been a huge fan of comparing food to drugs. The whole naming foods with “crack” in front of it just bothers me for some reason. Since my blog has some super hero references, including the Wonder Woman mixer, I like the idea of comparing these Chicken Nacho Cheesy Potatoes to kryptonite. They are a weakness, not an addiction.
Watch how to make Chicken Nacho Cheesy Potatoes:
Anyway cheesy potatoes and I have a long history. Way back before our kids were born (so over 12 years ago) my husband and I were busy being youth counselors at our church. Back then in addition to the mission trips and weekly meetings we also experienced numerous holiday parties with ornament exchanges among our fellow counselors and lots of delicious, potluck-type food.
Cheesy potatoes were always popular and ever since I got the recipe from the Mom of a youth counselor I’ve been making them myself. In recent years with the start of my blog I’ve remade them for the slow cooker. I like being able to transport them to events and keep them warm.
Then I decided that they really should be upgraded to a main dish my family can enjoy on occasion. With shredded chicken and Mexican flavors that we are all so fond of. Seriously I think my family of four could eat some version of Mexican every night for dinner and be perfectly content. So here you go – Chicken Nacho Cheesy Potatoes. They’ll make you weak in the knees.
PIN THIS RECIPE
Chicken Nacho Cheesy Potatoes
- 1 bag (32 oz) frozen cubed potatoes
- 1 rotisserie chicken white meat shredded, dark meat reserved for another use
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 can (10 oz) fiesta nacho cheese soup I used Campbell's brand
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips crushed
- salsa for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the melted butter, nacho cheese soup, sour cream, taco seasoning, salt and half of the cheddar cheese.
- Add the frozen, cubed potatoes and the shredded white chicken to a large bowl. Add the nacho cheese soup mixture to the potatoes and chicken and mix until well-combined.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Evenly spread the potato and chicken mixture into the casserole dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve the casserole immediately, topped with fresh salsa.
Don’t miss my Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes. Get the recipe HERE.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This looks so comforting. We have snow in the UK at the moment so this would be perfect.
Yes this is great comfort food for a cold and snowy day!
I love how you upgraded this recipe! It sounds delicious with the addition of taco seasonings and chicken. I’m sure it will be a huge hit with my family.
Thanks Tara I appreciate it!
These potatoes look stellar! I can see how they would be your kryptonite! We are like you are, we could eat some form of Mexican food everyday!
Total comfort food – Mexican and carbs 🙂 Thanks Beth!
Adriana Lopez Martin says
What a nice easy weekly dinner with familiar flavors that everyone loves. Casseroles are always a life saver =)
Yes they are! Thanks
What a great idea to combine the two flavour. With this cold, it is a great comfort dish to make
Agreed – thank you 🙂