Add some color and extra nutrients to your rice by adding broccoli to it. This recipe takes two favorites and combines them into one tasty side dish.
I make rice at least once a week. If I choose to make cauliflower rice I purchase the frozen variety. This recipe is not broccoli disguising itself as rice. This is rice that has finely chopped broccoli mixed into it. It’s not a low-carb side dish. I’m more into practicing portion control than eliminating carbs from my diet. This side dish is super tasty and makes a great addition to any meal with a lean protein like chicken or fish.
What’s Broccoli Rice
This side dish can be one of two things. It can be finely chopped broccoli that is cooked as a side dish in place of a starch. That version is similar to cauliflower rice, which is very popular because it is a low carb option. This version however is broccoli and rice mixed together. It’s delicious and more nutrient dense than plain rice.
How to make Broccoli Rice:
This is a simple side dish to make. Cook the rice. Steam the broccoli. Chop the broccoli with a food processor. Mix the two together. Serve.
- I use a mini food processor for chopping my broccoli
- I prefer using frozen broccoli florets, like this brand
- Here’s a helpful video for how to cook rice
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Add the butter to a non-stick pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the rice and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often, to toast the rice a bit.
- Pour in the water and stir.
- Bring the rice to a gentle boil.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the pot. You want the rice to gently simmer. Low heat on a gas stove is plenty for simmering. If cooking on an electric stovetop, you may need to set the burner to medium-low heat.
- Cook the rice, with the lid on, for 15 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, microwave the broccoli. Transfer the cooked broccoli to a food processor. Run the processor until the broccoli is very finely chopped.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl. Add the broccoli and lemon juice. Stir until combined. Season with more salt if necessary. Serve.
More recipes with Broccoli
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Southern Broccoli Casserole
- Summer Broccoli Pasta Salad
- Easiest Broccoli Salad
- Chicken Divan