This Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is pure comfort food, made a little bit healthier. Making grilled cheese in the air fryer ensures crispy bread and melty cheese.
When it comes to grilled cheese my tastes are pretty basic. I prefer white bread with processed American cheese slices. Sure I love a fancier grilled cheese every once in a while. But if I’m preparing a sandwich for myself at home, white bread and American cheese is my go-to. It is comfort food and it reminds me of my childhood.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Since I’ve been creating a lot of air fryer recipes lately, I figured why not try a grilled cheese sandwich in it and see how it goes? I’m not sure I’d say I prefer the air fryer over grilling a cheese sandwich in a skillet on the stovetop, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Air Fryer Gilled Cheese.
Advantages of the Air Fryer Grilled Cheese:
- I use margarine on my bread because it spreads easier – so there’s less saturated fat in this version of grilled cheese than the one I make in a pan
- Younger children could make their own sandwich – the air fryer is a bit safer than using the stovetop
- An air fryer is perfect for small spaces with no stoves – hello college students living in dorms! Purchase an air fryer and make a late-night grilled cheese
Is Grilled Cheese Bad for You?
As far as eating goes, portion control and moderation are your best friends. One grilled cheese sandwich can be part of a healthy diet. If you are eating grilled cheese every single day then yes, you might have a bad habit. I get a craving for grilled cheese about twice a month. I’ll definitely be making this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese again.
- I use a Philips Air Fryer to test all my air fryer recipes
- Air Fryers vary in how the cook. You might need to cook your sandwich for more or less time if you are using a different brand of air fryer
- This is brand of margarine I used in this recipe
- I use a non-stick spatula similar to this one to flip my grilled cheese
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 slices American cheese
- 1 tbsp Country Crock spread or similar margarin
- Spread one side of both slices of bread evenly with the margarine.
- Place the two cheese slices on the un-buttered side of the bread and put the bread and cheese together to make a sandwich - buttered side facing out.
- Place the sandwich in the center of the air fryer basket.
- Heat on 400 degrees F for 4 minutes. Flip the sandwich over and heat for about 3 minutes more, or until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.