Make Chicken Parm better than a restaurant thanks to this recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan. So delish, healthy and ready in a flash!
I’ve tried making Chicken Parmesan at home a few times and the results are always underwhelming. The chicken dries out and seems rubbery (when baked in the oven). And frying on the stovetop just seems like a messy proposition. Never fear though, my air fryer came to the rescue and as always, worked its magic again. This Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan hits all the right notes. Crispy outside, tender and juicy inside. The batter for the chicken breasts only requires five simple ingredients. You will not believe you can make something so crave-able so quickly. This is a date-night worthy dinner. Trust me.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Breasts (boneless, skinless)
- Lemon Juice
- Italian-seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs
- Marinara Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Pasta (for serving)
How to make Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, mayonnaise and lemon juice until smooth. Dump the Italian-seasoned Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese into a separate shallow bowl and stir to blend. Trim your chicken breasts so they are neat and tidy. Dip each chicken breast into the egg mixture. Then dip them into the bread and cheese mixture until they are well coated.
Place the coated chicken breasts into the air fryer basket and make sure they aren’t touching. Cook the chicken at 375 degrees for 6 minutes. Flip them over and continue cooking them at 375 degrees for an additional 4 – 6 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches about 160 degrees F. Top each chicken breast with a dollop of marinara sauce, some more Parmesan cheese and a slice of Mozzarella cheese. Cook the chicken at 400 degrees F for 2 – 3 minutes, until the cheese is starting to melt and the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165 degrees F or more. Serve the chicken atop some cooked pasta with marinara sauce, and additional Parmesan cheese.
Air Fryer Tips
- I use a Philips XXL Air Fryer to test all of my recipes.
- Be sure to not let the chicken touch in the basket so that it can cook evenly. You may need to cook the chicken in batches depending how many people you are serving.
- Use tongs like these to flip the chicken.
- Check the temperature of each chicken breast (in the middle) before serving. Chicken must reach at least 165 degrees F to be safe for eating.
- Use an instant read digital thermometer to check the temperature of any meat you are cooking in the air fryer.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer
- 2 Chicken Breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned Panko Breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp Parmesan Cheese divided
- 1/4 cup Marinara Sauce
- 2 slices Mozzarella Cheese
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, mayonnaise and lemon juice until smooth.
- In another shallow bowl, add the Panko breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and stir together until well combined.
- Dip each chicken breast first in the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumbs, being sure to completely coat the chicken with the bread and Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Place the chicken breasts into the basket of your air fryer, making sure they aren't touching.
- Air fryer the chicken at 375 degrees F for 6 minutes.
- Open the basket, flip the chicken breasts over and air fryer again at 375 degrees F for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Check the temperature of the chicken, it should be at about 160 degrees F.
- Place a dollop of marinara sauce on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and top with a small slice of Mozzarella cheese.
- Air fry the chicken at 400 degrees F for 2 - 3 minutes, until the cheese is starting to melt and the internal temperature of each chicken breast is 165 degrees F.
- Serve the chicken with pasta, marinara sauce and more Parmesan cheese.