This Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp takes just a few minutes to prepare with simple ingredients, including the homemade sauce.
I’ve become a huge fan of cooking seafood in my air fryer. It takes the guess work out of knowing when it’s done. The magic of the way an air fryer cooks prevents me from serving dry fish or rubbery shrimp. I didn’t grow up in a household that ate much seafood, save for salmon patties sometimes. So figuring out how to not be intimidated by fixing fish and shellfish at home has been a long process for me. But my air fryer has truly made me confident in this area. And I know it will for you too! This bang bang shrimp is perfectly crisp and the sauce is so simple to make and full of flavor.
What is Bang Bang Shrimp?
I was under the incorrect assumption that Bang Bang Shrimp was an Asian dish, but the national chain restaurant Bonefish Grill created it. Crispy shrimp is drizzled with a simple sauce made of mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce and Sriracha sauce. It’s the Sriracha that gives the sauce that “bang” or spicy kick. I added some lime juice to mine too. I used the same breading for this shrimp as I do for my homemade fish sticks recipe. A batter of egg, mayonnaise and lime juice first, followed by a coating of Panko bread crumbs. The shrimp are really easy to bread. You can use tail-on shrimp as well. I just happened to have tail-less shrimp already in my freezer.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Peeled and de-veined frozen shrimp (thawed according to package directions)
- Large egg
- Lime juice
- Sweet chili sauce
- Sirarcha sauce
How to make Bang Bang Shrimp in the Air Fryer
In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, mayonnaise and lime juice. In another shallow bowl, add the Panko bread crumbs. Dip each shrimp first into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs. Place the breaded shrimp evenly into the basket of your air fryer. You may need to air fry the shrimp in two batches.
Air fry the shrimp at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes (no need to flip) or until the internal temperature of the shrimp reaches a minimum of 120 degrees F.
While the shrimp is cooking, whisk together the remaining mayonnaise and lime juice with the sweet chili sauce and Sirarcha sauce. Serve the sauce with the shrimp.
- I use a Philips XXL Air Fryer to test all of my recipes
- Fully cooked shrimp has an internal temperature of 120 degrees F
- I always use an instant read digital thermometer to check the temperature of my shrimp
- Serve as an appetizer or with fried rice and stir fried green beans to make a complete meal
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Air Fryer
- 12 frozen peeled and deveined shrimp thawed according to package directions
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise divided
- 2 tbsp lime juice divided
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Siraracha
- pinch of salt
- Thaw the shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the shrimp lightly with salt.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, two tablespoons of mayonnaise and one tablespoon of lime juice.
- In another shallow bowl, add the Panko bread crumbs.
- Dip each shrimp first into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs to evenly coat. If you'd like to make more shrimp, just double the amounts of the egg mixture and Panko bread crumbs.
- Place the breaded shrimp evenly into the basket of your air fryer, making sure they are not touching. You may need to air fry the shrimp in two batches.
- Air fry the shrimp at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes (no need to flip) or until the internal temperature of the shrimp reaches a minimum of 120 degrees F.
- While the shrimp is cooking, whisk together the remaining two tablespoons of mayonnaise and one tablespoon of lime juice with the sweet chili sauce, Sirarcha sauce and a pinch of salt. Serve the sauce with shrimp.
Leave a Reply