Today might as well be a national holiday around here… it’s Opening Day for the Cincinnati Reds! In honor of the occasion, here’s a quick and festive recipe for red velvet cream cheese brownies. They seemed like the perfect dessert to lead-off our long-awaited Spring and baseball seasons.
And my husband wants me to tell you that this may be the best dessert I’ve ever made (what?!?) He does love cheesecake (as do I) and these brownies are almost equal parts cheesecake, meaning it’s the perfect ratio.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 t. red food coloring
- ⅔ c. all-purpose flour
- ¼ t. salt
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ c. sugar
- 1 lg. egg
- ½ t. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with foil and lightly grease. In a small heatproof bowl, melt butter and chocolate together. Stir with a fork until very smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla and red food coloring. Pour in the slightly cooled butter and chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add flour and salt and stir until everything is just combined with no streaks of flour remaining.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla with a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared red brownie batter. Gently swirl the two batters with a butter knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until cheesecake brownies are just set. Cool in the pan completely before slicing and serving.