My Veggie Halloumi Kebabs with Creamy Grilled Lemon Dip are the perfect option for a light grilled meal that both vegetarians and meat-eaters will enjoy!
Have you ever grilled fresh lemons? Have you tried halloumi cheese? If not you need to do both, pronto! My neighbor clued me in recently about grilling fresh lemons and the magic that happens. The juice gets concentrated – bright, smokey and tart – and is just fabulous tossed with fresh garlic and olive oil for pasta. Or in this case mixed in with a little sour cream, mayo, parsley, garlic and salt for a zingy dip you’ll crave all summer long!
Halloumi cheese is not always easy to find in the grocery store (at least it wasn’t in mine) but it’s worth seeking out because it’s a tasty and satisfying meat alternative for grilled kebabs. The cheese holds up to grilling. It is LITERALLY grilled cheese.
So combined with grilled fresh zucchini and peppers this is a fun and light summer meal that will please just about anyone. If you need or want to you can make this a vegan dish by replacing the halloumi cheese with fresh mushrooms and use vegan mayo in the dip. But don’t forgo the grilled lemons… trust me.
Pair these kebabs with some fresh corn on the cob, caprese salad, strawberry shortcake, sliced watermelon, etc. – whatever your summer favorites happen to be – and you have an easy, breezy meal. I’m so excited for summer…what about you?
Veggie Halloumi Kebabs with Creamy Grilled Lemon Dip
- 1 bag mini sweet peppers red, yellow and orange
- 4 small zucchini
- 8 oz. halloumi cheese
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 whole lemons
- 3/4 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 t. salt
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for a couple of hours before assembling or use metal kebab skewers.
- Turn on grill burners to high to heat fully. Scrape the grates clean and then turn all burners to low.
- Slice both lemons in half, rub lightly with oil and grill for about 8 minutes, starting cut-side down and flipping to cut side up after a couple of minutes. Remove from grill and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze grilled lemon juice into a bowl (using a strainer to remove any seeds).
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, garlic and salt and mix well to combine. Set dip aside.
- Slice zucchini into 16 equal pieces, discarding ends.
- Cut halloumi cheese into 16 equal size cubes.
- Thread each kebab skewer with two mini sweet peppers, two pieces of zucchini and 2 cubes of cheese.
- Rub each kebab lightly with the vegetable oil and sprinkle each with a little salt and pepper.
- Grill kebabs on low heat, flipping once or twice, until grilled evenly - about 10 minutes.
- Remove kebabs from heat and serve with creamy grilled lemon dip.
Ive never even seen that cheese…. but I can’t wait to find it, because, well hello? GRILLED CHEESE! The veggies are perfect of these nice spring grilling nights!
Yes, exactly! 🙂
Debi @ Life Currents says
I keep hearing about Halloum, but haven’t tried it yet. This gives me a great reason to keep an eye out for it. I hope my grocery store carries it. Great looking recipe!
I had to ask one of the workers and they helped me track it down!
Lisa Lotts says
Anything on a kebab is a winner! I’ve done halloumi in a pan, but never on the grill — I’m going to have to give it a try!
It’s really tasty I hope you do try it Lisa!
Peter Block says
I really love to grill vegetables in the summer. Your inclusion of the Halloumi is genius. I will definitely need to try this one.
Thanks so much Peter!
Beth Kunzler Neels says
Not only is this gorgeous but grilling the lemons is pure genius! I don’t know why that idea has eluded me all these years. I grill just about every fruit! Thanks! I’m definitely stealing that!
Yep, I have my neighbor to thank for the lemon idea. It had eluded me too!
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
What an awesome use for halloumi!