A classic wedge salad gets a fresh make-over for the warmer months as this Spring Wedge Salad with asparagus, snap peas and a red wine vinaigrette dressing.
Every time I order a wedge salad I think of Phil Dunphy from Modern Family. He loves a good wedge salad. I’m not trying to improve on a classic here with this Spring Wedge Salad I created. Instead I just wanted a version to show off spring vegetables.
I debated on making a creamy blue cheese dressing for this salad but I decided instead to dress my Spring wedge salad with a vinaigrette. It juts seemed like a lighter dressing would compliment the flavors of the asparagus and snap peas better.
I also thought about adding some cooked bacon. First I photographed the salad without bacon in keeping with a fresh and light theme. But after the pictures I went ahead and put some bacon bits on it for my lunch. So it’s up to you. With bacon or without this is an excellent salad as a main course (add some grilled chicken) or side.
Tips for making a Spring Wedge Salad:
- Peel the outer leaves from the iceberg lettuce and cut off about the bottom third of the lettuce head (to remove the hard stem end) before slicing the lettuce into wedges
- This is a great knife for slicing lettuce (it prevents the lettuce from browning)
- Carefully rinse the wedges under cold water and allow to drain on several layers of paper towels
- The asparagus and snap peas can be cooked up to a day ahead of time and stored (covered) in the refrigerator until ready to use
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Spring Wedge Salad
- 1 large iceberg lettuce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus use just about the top 2" of the asparagus - reserve the rest for another use
- 1 cup snap peas
- 4 large eggs hard boiled
- 4 tbsp blue cheese or feta, if you prefer
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Remove the outer leaves from the head of iceberg lettuce and slice about the bottom third off the head to remove the stem. Slice into four wedges and carefully wash each wedge under cold running water. Allow the wedges to drain on paper towels.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the one tablespoon of oil. Add the asparagus tips and snap peas and cook, stirring often, for about 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together the remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, Dijon, sugar and salt.
- Place the lettuce wedges on each of four plates. Divide the asparagus tips and snap peas among the four plates. Slice the hard boiled eggs top the salads with the egg. Top each salad with one tablespoon of the crumbled blue cheese. Drizzle the red wine vinaigrette over each salad. Serve.
More delicious salad recipes: