This is the best Slow Cooker Taco Soup because it is loaded with ground beef and taco flavor and takes just minutes to prepare.
Tacos and Mexican-style cuisine are always popular in my household. My kids and I could eat it every day for dinner and be happy. This is my third taco soup recipe. Check out my recipes for Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup and Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup too. This one uses ground beef and lots of help from jars and cans. But you wouldn’t know it. The soup is delicious and tastes like you spent hours cooking. When in reality it’s ready in just a few minutes and your slow cooker does most of the work.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Ground Sirloin – 90% lean
- Garlic – I really like this garlic press
- Taco Seasoning – use your favorite brand
- Salsa – also, your favorite brand
- Pinto Beans – Add a second can if you want to increase the fiber in this soup
- Corn – I use a strainer like this one to drain and rinse beans and vegetables for soups and other recipes
- Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes
- Beef Consommé – if you can’t find the consommé, use three cups of chicken stock instead of two
- Chicken Stock – I prefer the taste of chicken stock in soups, but if you prefer beef broth/stock, use that instead
- Lime Juice – the lime juice added at the end gives a really fresh, homemade taste to the soup
How to make Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat with one tablespoon of butter
Add the chopped onion and cook for a few minutes, until starting to soften
Stir in the ground sirloin and cook until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up the meat with a spoon or spatula as it cooks
Add the garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about one minute
Stir in the taco seasoning and salsa and cook for about one minute more
Add the beef mixture to the insert of your slow cooker
Then add the beans, corn, tomatoes, consommé and chicken stock. Stir well and put the lid on the slow cooker
Cook the soup on high power for 4 hours or on low power for 6 hours
Stir in 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice when ready to serve
Serve the soup topped with tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream
- I use a 6-quart Crock-Pot to test all of my recipes
- This is my favorite brand of taco seasoning
- My favorite brand of salsa
- For an even heartier soup, stir in some Spanish Rice with each serving
- Chips and guacamole are a great side for this soup
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- slow cooker
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin (90% lean)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans drained
- 1 15 oz can corn drained
- 1 15 oz can petitie cut diced tomatoes drained
- 1 can (10.5 oz) beef consommé
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh avocado and tortilla chips for serving
- Heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of butter and heat until melted.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for a few minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add the ground sirloin and cook until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up the meat with a spoon or spatula as it cooks.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about one minute.
- Stir in the taco seasoning and salsa and cook for about one minute more.
- Add the beef mixture to the insert of your slow cooker.
- Then add the beans, corn, tomatoes, consommé and chicken stock. Stir well and put the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook the soup on high power for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice when ready to serve.
- Serve the soup topped with tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream.