Short Rib Tacos combine oven braised short ribs with a quick to make pineapple and avocado salsa for a taco truck worthy experience in the comfort of your own home. Thanks to the Ohio Beef Council for sponsoring this post. All opinions are mine alone.
Taco trucks and taco themed restaurants are really popular but I always prefer making tacos at home. They always have a good WOW factor for the minimal effort it takes to make a good taco. These short rib tacos are very simple in their amount of fillings. The braised short ribs are the star of the show. Pineapple salsa is the only topping they need. And as I’ve proven before, pineapple and beef are a really perfect match.
How to make Short Rib Tacos:
The beef can be made up to one day ahead. Simply reheat when ready to serve. I like serving flour tortillas that I’ve quickly charred in a skillet on the stove. Corn tortillas are a good substitute, especially for those who are gluten-free. The pineapple salsa takes about 10 minutes to make. So once the short ribs have braised, this is a really quick dinner to set out.
Celebrating Cinco de Mayo:
In addition to these short rib tacos, I have a few other Mexican beef recipes in my collection that you might like to try as well. Plus a frosty beverage or two is always fun to help with a celebration!
- Grilled Carne Asada Burrito Bowls
- Grilled Margarita Steak Fajitas
- Pineapple Marinated Steak Tacos
- Watermelon Margarita
- Strawberry Daiquiri
Facts about Ohio Beef:
- Make Taco Tuesday nutritious and delicious. A 3-oz serving of beef provides 25 grams of protein and 10 essential nutrients, wrapped up in one tasty package.
- There are 17,000 beef farming families in Ohio, and 98 percent are family farms. Beef cattle can be found in every Ohio county.
- The Ohio beef community includes more than just farmers! Small business owners, community leaders, animal caretakers, nutritionists and environmentalists are all dedicated to producing safe, wholesome, nutritious beef.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Click HERE to get the recipe for the Pineapple Salsa that goes with these tacos!
Short Rib Tacos
Short Rib Tacos combine oven braised short ribs with a quick to make pineapple and avocado salsa for a taco truck worthy experience in the comfort of your own home.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 English cut beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 12 oz can sparkling water or club soda
- 1 recipe pineapple salsa
- 12 street taco flour tortillas
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In an oven-safe, heavy bottomed pot (with a lid), heat the oil over medium heat. Add the short ribs and brown on all sides.
Whisk together the brown sugar, chipotle chili powder, salt, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Sprinkle the seasonings over the browned short ribs.
Pour the sparkling water into the pot and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Put the lid on the pot and place the pot into the oven.
Cook the short ribs for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, until they are fall off the bone tender.
Shred the meat, removing any large pieces of fat and discard the bones.
Stir in a little of the cooking liquid to the shredded beef. Top each tortilla with the beef and the pineapple salsa.