These lemon goat cheese mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for all your holiday roasts.
I somehow managed to create a recipe that doesn’t pop up in a Google search with these Lemon Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes. Nothing is original anymore and sometimes I really struggle to keep creating recipes when I feel like I’m not really contributing anything innovative. But beyond finding this recipe, apparently lemon and goat cheese in mashed potatoes is at least not over-done yet.
The inspiration for these gourmet-flavored mashed potatoes will be published tomorrow. Each year I create a roasted beef dish for the holidays for my friends at the Ohio Beef Council. This year I’m sharing a slow cooked rump roast with prosciutto and figs. And so in thinking what I could serve with it, I decided lemon and goat cheese would go really nicely with the figs, orange, rosemary, balsamic and prosciutto in the beef recipe.
Tips for Lemon Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes:
- I always mash my potatoes by hand using a potato masher similar to this one
- For even fluffier mashed potatoes, use a potato ricer to mash the potatoes before adding the other ingredients
- This recipe calls for fat free half and half – I feel better saving a few calories – but you can use regular half and half if you prefer
- I use a soup pot similar to this one to both boil and mash my potatoes
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Lemon Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 8 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup fat free half and half
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Wash, peel and cut the Yukon Gold potatoes into about 2-inch cubes.
- Place the potatoes in an 8-quart stock pot and cover them with cold water.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil on the stovetop. Reduce the heat and simmer the potatoes until they are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, do not rinse. Return them to the same pot.
- Add the butter, half and half, goat cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve.
More potato side dish recipes: