Johnny Marzetti is an Ohio recipe which combines macaroni pasta with a ground beef tomato sauce, baked in a casserole and topped with cheese.
Who is Johnny Marzetti?
I actually did not grow up with my Mom making this classic Ohio recipe. Maybe it’s because I am not Italian? The Italian restaurant where this recipe originated was located in Columbus, Ohio. The owner was an Italian immigrant and she named the dish after her brother-in-law, Johnny Marzetti. The combination is very familiar. Pasta mixed with a tomato sauce with ground beef and topped with melted cheese. I use a couple of non-traditional ingredients to really punch up the flavor of my sauce. And make sure the baked pasta isn’t dry. I hope you enjoy my version of this classic recipe.
Ingredients in Johnny Marzetti
- Ground Beef
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Beef Broth
- Chili Garlic Sauce
- Macaroni Pasta
- Cheddar Cheese
How to make Johnny Marzetti
While cooking the meat sauce, boil the pasta. Drain the pasta and stir it together with the meat sauce. Add the sauced pasta to a casserole dish. Top it with plenty of shredded cheddar cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted.
- I use a non-stick, very large sauté pan to cook my sauce
- Use 90% lean ground sirloin for this recipe
- Brand of chili garlic sauce I use
- Bake the dish in a very large casserole
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 16 oz macaroni pasta
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground sirloin. Break up the meat and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about one minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the sugar, oregano, salt, crushed tomatoes, beef broth and chili garlic sauce. Bring to a simmer. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and allow to gently simmer while the pasta is cooking.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the macaroni pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta.
- Stir the cooked pasta into the meat sauce.
- Spread the macaroni and sauce evenly in a large casserole dish.
- Top the pasta with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for about 45 minutes, until hot and the cheese is melted.
What a great casserole dish is this. Love the combination of flavors. Something new to try for dinner
I have never heard about such a macaroni pasta recipe, but it sounds incredible. Bookmarking!
Glad to hear it. Thanks!
Emily Liao says
This pasta bake was delicious! Loved the flavor combination of cheese and the beefy tomato sauce.
Thanks Emily, glad you enjoyed.
Oh wow! I hadn’t heard of Johnny Marzetti before. Such a wonderful combination of flavors in the casserole and I love how easily it comes together.
A similar dish is known as goulash in other parts of the country. It’s easy and comforting.
My kiddos and I made this together! We have been spending a lot more time in the kitchen lately and its so fun. They really enjoyed making this recipe but they enjoyed eating it even more! Thanks for this delish creation, we are adding it to our “make again” list!!
This makes me happy. So glad you enjoyed making this with your kids and that the recipe will be on repeat!