Spice up your weeknight dinner with this delicious and easy one pot buffalo chicken pasta recipe. Made with just a few simple ingredients, this dish is sure to become a family favorite!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Talk about a winner of a chicken easy dinner! There’s so many things to highlight about this saucy, cheesy pasta. It uses pre-cooked chicken (purchase your favorite rotisserie chicken or learn how to make frozen chicken breasts in the Crock Pot).
My buffalo chicken pasta is a one pot pasta meal, so it’s ready to eat in a short amount of time. It looks pretty with its garnish of chopped fresh celery and green onions. Plus it’s full of that classic buffalo flavor everyone loves! It would make a terrific game day recipe too. You’re convinced right? I hope it becomes one of your new favorite pasta recipes.
More rotisserie chicken dinner recipes
- Rotisserie Chicken and Dumplings
- Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas
- Chicken Divan
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Minestrone Soup
Ingredients for one pot buffalo chicken pasta
- Rotisserie Chicken – One whole rotisserie chicken will yield about 3 cups of shredded chicken. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken too.
- Penne Pasta – Use a whole box (1 pound) or penne pasta, or you can use your favorite pasta shape.
- Chicken Broth – The pasta cooks in 4 cups of chicken broth (or chicken stock) instead of pasta water so there’s no need to drain.
- Buffalo Sauce – I like Frank’s but use your favorite brand of hot sauce.
- Mirepoix – Such a time saver! I use a frozen blend of celery, onion and green peppers for this recipe. Find it in the frozen vegetable section at your local grocery store.
- Diced Tomatoes – One 15-ounce can, undrained. Petite cut diced tomatoes are my favorite variety.
- Cheddar Cheese – Shred your own cheese for this recipe. It will melt and taste better!
- Sour Cream – Helps make the pasta sauce extra creamy. You could use Ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing in place of the sour cream if you prefer.
- Blue Cheese – Optional, but I love the flavor of blue cheese as a garnish.
- Celery – Finely chopped for garnish.
- Green Onion – Also finely chopped for garnish and adds color and flavor.
- Seasonings – I used fresh chives, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Feel free to add or subtract your own favorite seasonings.
- Butter – Butter helps to start the cooking process of the sauce with the mirepoix blend.
Melt butter over medium heat in an 8-quart capacity stock or soup pot. I prefer using a stock pot instead of a large skillet because I don’t want my ingredients to spill over the sides. I like a lot of room to make a mess! Add the mirepoix and seasonings. Cook and stir for a few minutes.
Stir in the pasta, chicken broth, and can of tomatoes (no need to drain). Bring the pasta to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and cover the pot. Cook pasta for 12 – 14 minutes, stirring very occasionally to make sure the pasta is covered with the liquid. Test the pasta for doneness.
Over medium low heat, stir in the chicken, cheese, buffalo sauce and sour cream. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring, so all the cheese melts and the chicken is hot. Serve the pasta garnished with crumbled blue cheese, chopped celery and green onions.
- Frozen Mirepoix is my new favorite time saver in the kitchen. It comes in several varieties. For this recipe I used the Cajun mix, which is a combination of celery, onion and green bell peppers. It cooks down faster than using fresh veg too.
- Be sure to test your pasta for doneness before mixing in the chicken, buffalo sauce, cheese and sour cream. Poke a piece of penne with a fork. Allow it to cool for a minute and test it with your teeth to make sure it is cooked to al dente.
- Add more or less buffalo wing sauce depending on your spice level tolerance.
- If you like a saucier pasta, add an additional 1/2 cup of chicken broth at the beginning of cooking.
- Also add more cheese if you like your pasta really cheesy. Mozzarella cheese or Monterey Jack would be great additions too.
This pasta reheats well in the microwave. You may want to stir in a little more chicken broth and/or buffalo sauce or Ranch dressing to loosen it up. Store leftovers in your refrigerator for up to three days in an airtight container. I have not tried freezing this recipe but I think it would freeze well too. Let me know in the comments if you try freezing it!
- Use an 8-quart capacity stock pot with a glass lid for cooking the pasta
- My favorite knife for chopping is this Santoku Knife
- I always use heat proof spatulas for stirring
Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- 1 Stock Pot or Soup Pot
- 4 tbsp butter
- 12 oz frozen mirepoix I use the Cajun style blend for this recipe - onions, celery and green pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 16 oz penne pasta
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 15 oz petite cut diced tomatoes not drained
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- blue cheese crumbles, celery, green onions for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add the frozen mirepoix blend and the seasonings - chives, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies begin to soften, 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta, chicken broth and undrained can of tomatoes. Stir well so the pasta is covered by the liquid.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium low. Put the lid on the pot and cook for 12 - 14 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente. Be sure and check the pasta for doneness before continuing to the next step!
- Over medium low heat, add the rotisserie chicken, shredded cheese, buffalo sauce and sour cream. Stir and heat until the cheese is completely melted and the chicken is hot.
- Serve the pasta garnished with crumbled blue cheese, chopped celery and green onions.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (Amazon Associate), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon links you see are affiliate links that I may earn advertising fees on when you click to purchase.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN to Pinterest and print this recipe! Like and tag ‘Foodtastic Mom’ on Facebook and Instagram if you make this recipe! And of course leave a star rating if you make any of my recipes and enjoy them!