Make these buckeye brownies when you don’t feel like rolling a bunch of little peanut butter balls but still want that classic flavor combination of chocolate and peanut butter. These brownies need to be at all your tailgating festivities this football season!
Living in Ohio it seems a requirement to be an Ohio State Buckeye fan. I get excited when they do well. But I have a confession to make. I am raising a son who bleeds blue and gold (and green)… GASP! He’s a Notre Dame fan. Like he’s seriously obsessed with the Irish. And so because they lost to Ohio State in a bowl game recently the Buckeyes are now blackballed in his little world. So much so that he supports both those teams up north (Michigan – which is a dirty word to many Ohio State fans). But guess what? He had no problem eating these buckeye brownies. More than one actually. So I’ll cut him slack.
Seriously though football season around here is a big deal but it’s all in good fun. I’m just happy to watch a good game and for an excuse to plop down in front of the big screen with some tasty tailgating grub. I like making the traditional buckeye candies but they are a little labor intensive. So when I found this recipe for buckeye brownies, I knew I had to try them. Seriously these are so good and so simple.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 1 box brownie mix I used Ghirardelli brand
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tbsp salted butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips I used Ghirardelli bittersweet chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Bake brownies according to package directions. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes in the pan.
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat together the 1/2 cup of peanut butter and softened butter. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until the mixture is smooth. If it's too loose you can add an additional 1/4 cup of powdered sugar.
- Spread the peanut butter filling on top of the baked brownies.
- In a clean bowl, melt the chocolate chips and remaining 1/4 cup of peanut butter together in the microwave. Start by microwaving on high power for one minute. Stir. Microwave again in 30 second intervals until the chocolate and peanut butter are completely melted together and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate and peanut butter ganache on top of the peanut butter filling. Spread evenly. Refrigerate the brownies in the pan for about one hour. Slice and serve.