These breakfast rice bowls are a great way to use up leftover rice and are completely customizable. This post includes a video for how to cook rice.
I would be remiss not to mention the current reality right now. We are at the beginning of a social distancing period, to help prevent the spread (or flatten the curve) of the Coronavirus. To say that things are weird would be an understatement. I hope everyone is managing OK and taking care of themselves and each other during this trying time. I noticed rice missing on my most recent grocery trip. Along with toilet paper, bread and frozen vegetables. I have a lot of rice recipes already on my website. But I thought adding to my collection might be useful at this time.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
How to Cook Rice
What to Add to Breakfast Rice Bowls
I have pictured the breakfast items I usually have on hand in these rice bowls. I like these turkey frozen sausages the best. Here are some other ideas for customizing your breakfast rice bowls in your home:
- fresh avocado
- frozen stir-fry vegetables
- scrambled eggs
- soy sauce
- ham and pineapple
- This is the brand of rice I like to keep on hand. But any brand of white rice will work for this recipe.
- These are the non-stick pans I use in my kitchen.
- Most uncooked rice has an indefinite shelf life. Brown rice is the only exception.
- Cooked rice will keep in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 4 – 6 days.
- An easy swap is to make a recipe of these breakfast potatoes and top them similarly to the rice
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Breakfast Rice Bowls
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- your favorite breakfast toppings
- Add the oil to a non-stick pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the rice and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often, to toast the rice a bit.
- Pour in the water and stir.
- Bring the rice to a gentle boil.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the pot. You want the rice to gently simmer. Low heat on a gas stove is plenty for simmering. If cooking on an electric stovetop, you may need to set the burner to medium-low heat.
- Cook the rice, with the lid on, for 15 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed.
- Stir the rice and serve topped with an egg and your favorite breakfast toppings, like cooked sausage or bacon and salsa.