BBQ Mac and Cheese is like the ultimate casserole. Tangy homemade mac and cheese plus sweet and smokey pulled pork barbecue.
BBQ Mac and Cheese is just what it sounds like. Macaroni and cheese topped with BBQ. But the flavor combination has to be right. I took my (no boil!) macaroni and cheese recipe and made it extra tangy to balance the sweet flavors from the pulled pork and barbecue sauce. Like a casserole, there are layers to this dish. Mac and cheese, pork, BBQ sauce, shredded cheese. Then some parsley after the bake. It is so darn good. A complete meal in a dish. But maybe serve an easy green salad alongside. Or just some fresh summer veggies. You can go to your favorite BBQ joint to save time for the pork and sauce. Or you can use this easy crockpot recipe I have for pulled pork.
Ingredients needed for BBQ Mac and Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Half and Half
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Yellow Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Macaroni Pasta
- Pulled Pork
- BBQ Sauce
- Monterey Jack Cheese
How to make BBQ Mac and Cheese
In a large blender, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, half and half, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Blend until smooth. Stir the cheese mixture together with the uncooked pasta (yes, you read that right, uncooked). Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into a buttered casserole dish. Cover it with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the macaroni is tender.
Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Uncover the dish and top the macaroni and cheese with pulled pork. Drizzle BBQ sauce on top. And then sprinkle the whole thing with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbling and starting to brown. Top with chopped parsley and serve.
- Use a high powered blender to blend the cheese mixture
- Casserole dish for baking the BBQ Mac and Cheese
- Grate your own cheese, do not use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
BBQ Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup 4% fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 oz Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz macaroni pasta uncooked
- 2 cups pulled pork
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a baking dish (at least 8 cup capacity) with the two tablespoons of butter and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, half and half, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Stir the blended cheese sauce into the uncooked pasta and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 for 45 - 55 minutes (or until the macaroni is cooked through - I tasted it to make sure). Remove the dish from the oven. Disard the foil and stir the cooked macaroni and cheese.
- Top the macaroni and cheese evenly with the pulled pork. Top it with BBQ sauce. Then top the sauce layer with the shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Return the macaroni and cheese to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbling and starting to lightly brown.
- Top the BBQ Mac and Cheese with chopped parsley to serve.