Made with just a few simple pantry ingredients, this Apple Butter Barbecue Sauce will elevate your grilled meats any time of year.
I’m not sure what made me think of apple butter as a base for a homemade barbecue sauce. Especially at the beginning of summer. After all apple butter seems like a fully fall food doesn’t it? But it’s always available. Just sitting there on my grocery store shelf next to all the other jams and jellies. I’ve always been a huge fan of apple butter and this Apple Butter Barbecue Sauce has made me love it even more.
I know there have to be similar recipes out there for this type of barbecue sauce but I didn’t go looking for them. I walked into my grocery with apple butter in mind and from there I shopped the shelves for the rest of my ingredients. I didn’t want anything hard to find or expensive in my sauce. So beyond apple butter it includes steak sauce, balsamic vinegar, yellow mustard, salt, onion powder and pepper. It is simple and truly delicious. I basted a brisket with it but I think it will work well on lots of different meats: pork chops and tenderloin, chicken breasts or legs, or even as a topping for grilled burgers.
Tips for Apple Butter Barbecue Sauce:
- Many of my recipes (not baking) are approximations of measurement because I cook by feel instead of precision – so if your tastes are different than mine you can always add more salt or more of something else to make the sauce perfect for YOU
- A heat proof basting brush like this one is terrific for applying the sauce to meats as you are grilling
- I used A1 brand steak sauce in my recipe – but this is not a sponsored post
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Apple Butter Barbecue Sauce
- 3/4 cup apple butter I used Private Selection brand
- 1/3 cup steak sauce I used A1 brand
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until just simmering, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Use barbecue sauce to baste your favorite grilled meats.
More recipes with apple butter: