This Walking Taco Casserole is ready in a flash and does not use canned chili. It is a meal that is quick and easy. Kids love it!
Life is chaotic with teenagers. My fuel bill has increased significantly as we’ve added new activities each year. Football seems to dominate in my household. Lifting and conditioning go year-round. One of my favorite foods to order during the football season is a walking taco. Those weren’t served last season, so they’ve been on my mind. I have made walking tacos in Frito bags at home before. But a Walking Taco Casserole makes more sense when serving this for dinner. It’s a big walking taco served family-style in a pie plate. A quick (homemade) beef and bean chili is topped with cheese and then Fritos. Garnish it with lettuce, tomato and sour cream.
What you need for this Walking Taco Casserole
- Ground Round
- Chili Beans
- Diced Tomatoes
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Shredded Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Taco Sauce
How to make Walking Taco Casserole
Melt a little butter in a non-stick sauté pan. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften. Then add the ground round and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the seasonings and cook for a few minutes, making sure the beef is broken up into small pieces. Stir in the diced tomatoes (undrained) and chili beans. Allow the chili to simmer for about 5 minutes.
Transfer the chili to a pie plate. Top with shredded cheese. Put the pie under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Top the pie with Fritos. Serve with lettuce, tomato, sour cream and taco sauce.
- I use a non-stick sauté pan similar to this one.
- Use a large, deep dish pie plate for this recipe.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Walking Taco Casserole
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 can chili beans I used Bush's brand
- 1 can petite cut diced tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups Fritos corn chips
- lettuce, tomato, sour cream and taco sauce to serve
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- In a large, non stick saute pan over medium high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for a few minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add the ground round and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces, until no longer pink.
- Stir in the chili beans, tomatoes, salt, chili powder, smoked paprika and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring the chili to a boil. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer, uncovered, for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chili to a deep dish pie plate. Top the chili with the shredded cheese.
- Place the pie under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Top the pie with the Fritos. Serve the Walking Taco Casserole with lettuce, tomato, sour cream and taco sauce.
Lola Osinkolu | Chef Lola's Kitchen says
This surely is perfect for a busy night! Love the toppings!
All of my favourite flavours in a bowl. This looks delicious.
Well, let’s just say that anything that has the word “taco” in it wins me over LOL Fantastic recipe that makes me so hungry!
I know, right?? Tacos are always the right answer! 🙂
My sister in law had these at her wedding as a late night snack and they were so fun! Can’t wait to make these at home!
That’s a super fun snack for a wedding!!
Oh how fun! I love how easily this casserole comes together and the combination of all those flavors. I bet this definitely would be a huge hit with my kids.
My kids love it!