Make a double batch of steak taco meat with my homemade sauce for both steak tacos and these steak fajita quesadillas.
I am of the opinion that you can never have too many recipes for Mexican food. It’s my absolute favorite type of food to make and eat. Probably because I can make restaurant-quality versions very easily at home. I recently shared a recipe for steak tacos that included my own unique recipe for taco sauce. After photographing and eating those steak tacos, I still had a lot of steak taco meat left. So that’s how these Steak Fajita Quesadillas came to be.
How to make Steak Fajita Quesadillas
After cooking the steak in the pan, remove the steak and leave behind the juices. Add the sliced peppers and onions to the skillet. Cook until the veggies have softened. Remove the peppers and onions and wipe the skillet with a paper towel. Melt a little more butter in the pan and place a large flour tortilla into the pan. Layer the shredded cheese, steak, cooked peppers and onions, jalapeño slices and more cheese on half the tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half. Cook until browned on both sides. Slice and serve.
What do you need to make the Homemade Taco Sauce
- Fresh Garlic
- Tomato Paste
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Red Pepper Flakes
Kitchen Tips for Steak Fajita Quesadillas
- Use a large, non-stick skillet to prepare these quesadillas
- I like this non-stick spatula for flipping the quesadillas
- Serve shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream and guacamole as condiments for your quesadillas
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Steak Fajita Quesadillas
- 14 oz beef shaved steak
- 4 tbsp butter divided (or use vegetable oil instead)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes add more for more spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup light beer
- 1/2 cup sweet onion sliced
- 1 cup red and yellow bell peppers sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheese Cheddar or Monterey Jack
- 12 slices nacho jalapeño peppers
- 4 large flour tortillas
- In a large, non-stick skillet over medium - high heat, melt one tablespoon of the butter. Add the shaved steak and cook, stirring often, until no longer pink. Remove the steak from the pan, leaving behind the juices.
- Over medium heat, add a second tablespoon of butter and melt. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, sugar, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook, stirring often, for an additional minute.
- Stir in the beer and cook for a couple of minutes until smooth. Return the steak to the pan with the sauce and stir to combine and cook for a few minutes until heated through.
- Remove the steak for the pan, leaving the juices behind. Add the onions and peppers. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until they are softened, about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and onions. Add a bit of butter to the skillet and place a flour tortilla in the skillet on top of the melted butter. Layer half the tortilla with cheese, steak, peppers and onions and sliced jalapeños. Fold the tortilla in half. Grill on both sides until cheese is melted. Repeat with all four tortillas.
Steak fajita quesadillas sound like the perfect recipe for Cinco De Mayo! Thanks!
These are so good and they were a hit with my kids. Thanks for sharing.
Krissy Allori says
These look great! My family loves quesadillas so I have no doubt they will love these. Steak is my favorite kind of fajitas too 🙂
Come back and let us know what you think.
Steak and quesadillas? Sounds like a delicious combination, looking forward to trying it.
For sure it is!
Just wow! I am saving the recipe for our upcoming BBQ time. I have not made it yet, but I am falling in love already:)
They’re pretty amazing 🙂
We loved these! They were so delicious and perfect in this weather too. Going on the weekly
So happy you enjoyed them!