Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs include a homemade sauce with fresh red and green peppers and canned pineapple and take help from the frozen section for the meatballs. It’s a dinner that is quick and convenient and can stay warm and ready for whenever everyone gets home to eat.
I bought some frozen turkey meatballs the other day and wanted to come up with a new way to fix them and that’s how these Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs came to be. The point of this meal is to get it into the slow cooker as quickly as possible and then forget about it. That’s why I decided against homemade meatballs for this recipe. I have a couple of recipes for meatballs from scratch and if you are looking for one please continue to scroll to the bottom of this post to find them.
When I’ve never made something before there are a few tried and true places that I look first. One of them is America’s Test Kitchen. I found their version of sweet and sour sauce here as a topping for chicken. I altered it just a bit to add to my recipe – with frozen turkey meatballs from Trader Joe’s, fresh green and red peppers and canned pineapple. Served over white rice these slow cooker sweet and sour meatballs are a nutritious meal that can stay warm and ready for whenever everyone at your house gets home to eat. And around here that’s not usually at the same time for all four of us on most nights.
Tips for making Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs:
- Use your favorite frozen meatballs for this recipe – I like these turkey meatballs from Trader Joe’s
- Buy pineapple tidbits canned in pineapple juice (not heavy syrup) and use that pineapple juice as part of your sauce
- Use a 6-quart slow cooker (Crockpot) for this recipe like this one
- Cook the rice right before serving the meatballs
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs include a homemade sauce with fresh red and green peppers and canned pineapple and take help from the frozen section for the meatballs. It's a dinner that is quick and convenient and can stay warm and ready for whenever everyone gets home to eat.
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice drained from the can of pineapple tidbits
- juice of one medium orange
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 bag frozen turkey meatballs I used Trader Joe's brand
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1 green pepper cut into strips
- 1 cup canned pineapple tidbits
Whisk together the pineapple juice, orange juice, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, salt, red pepper flakes and corn starch.
Add the meatballs, red and green peppers and pineapple tidbits to the slow cooker. Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the meatballs.
Cover and cook on LOW power for 6 hours.
Serve the sweet and sour meatballs over rice.
More meatball recipes:
- Asian Maple Sausage Meatballs
- Pork Apple Meatballs with Hard Cider Gravy
- Shortcut Swedish Meatballs with Microwave Mashed Potatoes