Make a healthy meal in mere minutes by learning how to microwave a whole sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, filling and delicious.
I’ve been all about my air fryer these past few months. Lots of people are jumping on the air fryer band wagon, and I’m enjoying creating recipes for them. My air fryer really helps me to make delicious and healthy meals in a short amount of time. However, I recently tried air frying sweet potatoes and I was disappointed. The skin got too hard and crispy and it took a long time to get tender. I might as well have cooked the sweet potato in the oven. But the microwave makes more sense because then I have a perfectly cooked sweet potato in just a few minutes.
How to Microwave a Sweet Potato:
Scroll down for a printable recipe. Scrub the potatoes and remove any strings. Wrap the sweet potato in a damp paper towel. Place the potato on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave the potato on high power for 4 minutes. Turn the potato over and microwave until the potato is tender. Slice the sweet potato open and top with your favorite toppings.
Are Microwave Sweet Potatoes Healthy?
Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients and have many health benefits. They are low in calories but high in fiber, vitamins A and C. They support good vision and may help to promote brain health. A microwave sweet potato is a smart choice for a quick lunch that is also good for you.
Topping Ideas for Microwave Sweet Potatoes:
- salted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon
- almond butter
- heated vegetarian baked beans and shredded cheddar cheese
- leftover chili
- rotisserie chicken and hot sauce
- avocado smashed with lime juice and crumbled bacon
- poached egg and salsa
Kitchen Tips for Microwaving Sweet Potatoes:
- Choose sweet potatoes that are on the smaller side – about the size of your fist.
- I like these paper towels for wrapping the sweet potatoes.
- Microwave ovens vary in how hot and quickly they cook. Cooking time is based on my microwave – you may need to increase or decrease your cooking time a bit.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
How to Microwave a Sweet Potato
- 1 small to medium sweet potato
- Wash the sweet potato and remove any strings.
- Wrap the sweet potato in a damp paper towel.
- Place the wrapped potato on a microwave safe plate.
- Microwave the sweet potato on high for 4 minutes.
- Turn the potato over and continue to microwave until the potato is tender and easily pierced with a fork. Approximately an additional 2 - 4 minutes.
More Side Dish Recipes:
- Oven Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Greek Rice Salad
- Cheesy Pimento Broccoli Casserole
- Perfect Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Party Potatoes