Fast and easy, tasty and healthy. This Green Chicken Enchilada Soup uses rotisserie chicken and packs a little heat from green chiles and salsa.
This Green Chicken Enchilada Soup is similar to a white chicken chili. It’s a hearty meal that my kids love too. It tastes fresh and is pretty healthy at only 120 calories per serving (without toppings). Rotisserie chicken combines with a variety of green chiles and salsa. The broth is thickened with a roux of flour and butter. And I personally like to set out lots of toppings for my soup. This one benefits from some fried corn tortilla strips, avocado, lime, red onion, sour cream and cilantro. It looks a little fancy but it’s really super simple to prepare.
What you need for Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Poblano Pepper
- Green Chiles
- Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- Salsa Verde (Green Salsa)
- Chicken Broth
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Lime Juice
- Garlic Powder
How to make Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
Sometimes I chop my vegetables but this time I decided to grate my onion, zucchini and poblano pepper with a metal cheese grater. Just be careful when handling chili peppers. The seeds are where the heat resides. You don’t want to wipe your eyes after you’ve been handling any sort of chili pepper with some heat. Trust me, I know from experience!
Heat a soup pot over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the grated onion, zucchini and poblano pepper and cook until starting to soften. Season with salt, cumin and garlic powder. Add the green chilis and then stir in the flour. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
Pour in the enchilada sauce and salsa. Cook, stirring often, until it is starting to thicken. Add the chicken, broth and lime juice. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. Season with more salt if necessary.
Top the soup with your choice of fried corn tortilla chips, chopped red onion, sour cream, shredded cheese, lime and chopped cilantro.
- Brand of green chile enchilada sauce I use in this soup
- I like cooking soup in a non-stick pot with a glass lid
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 4 oz green chiles
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup green chile enchilada sauce
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Grate the zucchini, onion and poblano pepper or chop it finely with a knife.
- Shred the chicken and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the zucchini, onion and poblano peppers to the pot and cook for a few minutes until starting to soften. Season with the salt, cumin and garlic powder.
- Stir in the canned green chiles.
- Add the flour and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
- Add the green chile enchilada sauce and the salsa. Cook until thickened.
- Stir in the chicken broth, shredded chicken and lime juice.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top the soup with any combination of fried corn tortilla strips, shredded cheese, avocado, red onion, cilantro, sour cream and lime wedges.