Just like my popular French Strawberry Cake, this French Pineapple Cake is simple to make but impressive to serve. This cake has a custardy middle, a crackly sugar top and is filled with fresh pineapple.
This French Pineapple Cake will be your new favorite summertime treat. Reminiscent of a classic French Apple Cake it has a crumb that is sweet and custardy with a top that bakes up light and crumbly. This cake is perfect for entertaining. Mixed in one bowl and baked in a standard 9-inch cake pan, it’s so simple to make! But it looks impressive. Top it with a slice of fresh pineapple and a cocktail umbrella to serve at all your poolside parties.
Over the years, my recipe for French Strawberry Cake has received hundreds of positive reviews and comments. Recently one of those comments really caught my eye. Here’s what she said, “I’m a little late with this comment, but I’ve made this cake a dozen times. It’s seriously delicious. I’m very grateful to you for sharing the recipe. I tried with strawberries, apples and pineapple… Pineapple being my favorite. I’m baking one right now with pecans, we’ll see how it comes out. Thanks so much!” And so, all credit goes to that reader for suggesting pineapple and me posting this as its own recipe.
Ingredients for French Pineapple Cake
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Pineapple
- Grease and flour your cake pan before filling it with the batter. I also like this homemade pan release.
- No need for fancy pans. I use a standard 9-inch cake pan for this cake (in all its versions).
- Use a stand or hand mixer for blending the cake batter.
- Here’s a helpful tutorial for how to cut a fresh pineapple.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
French Pineapple Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups fresh pineapple sliced into bite-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), whip together the softened butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Fold in the fresh pineapple. Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake until the top of the cake is browned and crackly and the cake feels firm to the touch, about 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan and slice and serve the cake from the pan.
More Cake Recipes
- French Strawberry Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cake
- French Country Apple Cake
- Kentucky Butter Cake
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes