Take my famous French Strawberry Cake and add chocolate chips instead to make this unbelievably decadent Chocolate Chip Cake.
The title of my first viral recipe belongs to my French Strawberry Cake. And for good reason. I get so many photos and comments over on Pinterest about it. Probably my favorite comment of all-time about the cake is, “So surprised it turned out great because I’m a terrible cook.”
So consider this cake fool-proof. The recipe is also a great jumping off point for a variety of flavors. I’ve added a lot of different types of fruit to it in the past. But never chocolate chips. Then a friend on Facebook commented to me recently that it was fantastic with chocolate chips. And she was right! So here is my recipe for Chocolate Chip Cake.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cake
I like using a stand mixer for this recipe. Whip together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture in three additions. Alternating it with the addition of sour cream. Mix until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips and spread it evenly into a 9-inch cake pan. Sprinkle the remaining sugar on top of the cake. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Oven temperatures vary widely. So the baking time for you might be 35 minutes or even 45 minutes. If the cake is lightly browned and firm in the middle, it’s ready to come out of the oven.
Can you make this cake with White Chocolate Chips?
The key to chocolate chip cake is the quality of your chocolate chips. I personally prefer Ghirardelli brand. Pictured in this cake are bittersweet chocolate chips. I think it would be great with their milk chocolate chips too. And yes I say absolutely you could make this cake with white chocolate chips. If I added white chocolate chips to this cake recipe, I’d probably also mix in some fresh raspberries. Or maybe serve it with some raspberry sauce drizzled over each slice. And top it with homemade whipped cream. Yum!
Kitchen Tips for Chocolate Chip Cake
- Use a stand mixer for this recipe
- Butter and flour your cake pan before adding the batter
- Use a cake tester to make sure the middle is baked completely
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan completely before slicing and serving
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 bag (10 oz) chocolate chips I use bittersweet Ghirardelli
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.