Creamy Chimichurri Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes combine baked sweet potatoes with poached chicken breast and a creamy chimichurri sauce for a fresh, delicious and healthy meal.
I had so many words in this title to describe what this recipe is that I forgot to mention citrus! There’s chopped fresh orange and lemon juice in my version of a chimichurri sauce. Plus instead of oil I used a little sour cream to bind together the fresh herbs, citrus and red onion which makes this sweet potato topping creamy and completely dreamy (plus much lower in calories than using oil).
I really like baked sweet potatoes but I struggle with how to top them more healthily. Restaurants drown them in butter and cinnamon sugar. I’d love to eat them like that at home but my scale says no way. So this topping – which uses poached chicken that I posted about a few days ago – and that creamy, citrusy chimichurri sauce I just described seems pretty much perfect. I think you’ll love these! Whether you’re watching your calories (like me at the moment) or not.
Tips for Creamy Chimichurri Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- You can bake your sweet potatoes in the oven or bake them in your slow cooker. See how here.
- I used poached chicken to top these sweet potatoes. See how to poach chicken in my video… keep scrolling.
- You can also use rotisserie chicken to stuff your sweet potatoes.
- I wash my fresh herbs before chopping in a salad spinner like this one.
- If you need to be dairy-free, you could mix mayonnaise instead of sour cream into the chimichurri.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Watch how to Poach Chicken:
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Creamy Chimichurri Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 16 oz poached chicken breast sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 small orange
- 2 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Wash the sweet potatoes well. Place them on the baking sheet and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. Poach it or shred a rotisserie chicken. Top each potato with about 4 oz of chicken breast.
- Add the chopped parsley and cilantro to a bowl. Remove the skin and white pith from the orange. Chop the orange segments and add the orange and its juice to the same bowl.
- Add the finely chopped red onion, sour cream, lemon juice, honey, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir well to combine.
- Top each stuffed sweet potato with about 1/4 cup of the creamy chimichurri sauce.