Made with rice-shaped pasta, this Creamy Chicken Risoni is so quick to make and tastes surprisingly like chicken soup. It’s a hug in a bowl.
I’ve been on a risoni kick lately. The rice-shaped pasta is quicker to make than rice. But I mix it with cauliflower rice, to lower the calorie and carb count a bit. My chicken and dumplings recipe is well-loved and very popular on Pinterest. This Creamy Chicken Risoni tastes surprisingly similar. It has a savory chicken flavor that tastes like it took a long time to make. But like my dumplings recipe, I use rotisserie chicken to help save time.
What is Risoni?
You may have heard of orzo pasta, which looks like rice. That is what we are talking about here – rice shaped pasta. And if you can’t specifically find pasta that is labelled as “risoni” then use orzo – that is what I did for this recipe. Risi is the Italian word for rice. Risoni pasta can be served as a side dish like rice. Or turned into a risotto. Stirred into soups, used as a stuffing for tomatoes and peppers, or used in a main dish like this one.
How to make Creamy Chicken Risoni
This recipe is so ridiculously simple to make. While the risoni is cooking (according to package directions), sauté some chopped carrots and celery in butter. Season it with salt, pepper and parsley. Add some chicken broth and let it simmer until the vegetables are very tender.
Microwave a bag of cauliflower rice. Stir the cooked risoni and cauliflower rice into the simmering carrot and celery mixture. Stir in some rotisserie chicken. Add some half and half. Continue to cook the Creamy Chicken Risoni, stirring often, until the mixture thickens. Serve.
- Cook in a non-stick frying pan with glass lid
- Brand of cauliflower rice I like best
- If you can’t find risoni pasta, orzo is the best substitute
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Creamy Chicken Risoni
- 1 1/4 cups dry risoni (or orzo) pasta
- 10 oz bag of frozen cauliflower rice
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup chicken broth divided
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup rotisserie chicken shredded
- Cook the risoni (or orzo) pasta according to package directions and drain. Meanwhile, microwave the cauliflower rice according to package directions. Mix together the cooked risoni and cauliflower rice, cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large, non-stick frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped carrot and celery and sauté for a few minutes.
- Season with parsley, salt and pepper. Add the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover and allow to simmer until the carrot and celery are very tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the cooked risoni, cauliflower rice, rotisserie chicken and half and half. Cook, stirring often until the mixture is starting to thicken.
- Taste and season with more salt and parsley if necessary. Serve.
More Risoni / Orzo Recipes
- Alfredo Risoni
- Creamy Chicken Risoni
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup
- Orzo Pasta Salad
- Greek Foil Packet Fish