Creamy Cheese Tortellini Soup is filled with vegetables and ground turkey for a hearty and nutritious soup that kids love.
I actually posted a similar recipe to this creamy cheese tortellini soup a few years ago (based off this original recipe). But as I sometimes do, I revisited the recipe and decided to make a bunch of changes. Mainly to scrap the idea of needing a slow cooker. The idea of tortellini is for it to be part of a quick and easy meal. I love my slow cooker but it’s obviously not quick.
This soup contains a lot of veggies and ground turkey. So even with cream cheese providing the creamy broth for the soup and the cheese tortellini, this meal is still relatively nutritious. I’m not sure this much cheese counts as healthy but if cheese gets my kids to eat more vegetables, I am good with that.
It’s funny because I’ve talked about my kids and their eating habits before. I’m finding that as my son especially enters his teens, he’s becoming more picky again about what he’ll eat and not eat. He is a big meat and potatoes fan but vegetables and even fruit he used to eat without protest are becoming a problem. Has anyone else experienced this with kids? Almost a regression of eating habits? If so, please tell me in the comments – especially if you have a suggestion for how to make it stop!
Tips for Creamy Cheese Tortellini Soup:
- I use a soup pot about this size to make this recipe
- I purchase refrigerated, not frozen, cheese tortellini for this recipe
- My favorite brand of cheese tortellini to use in this soup comes from Trader Joe’s
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Creamy Cheese Tortellini Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 15 oz can petite cut diced tomatoes drained
- 1 bag (10 or 12 oz) frozen peas and carrots
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz cream cheese cut into cubes
- 16 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion. Stir and cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the meat with a spoon.
- Stir in the garlic, salt, parsley and Worcestershire sauce and cook for about one minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, peas and carrots, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, covered.
- Remove the lid. Stir in the cream cheese and the tortellini. Cover and cook on simmer again for about 10 minutes. Stir well to make sure the cream cheese is melted into the soup. Taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve.