Air Fryer Lava Cakes are the perfect last minute dessert for two. Decadent chocolate cakes have a molten chocolate center that are impossible to resist.
I have made hundreds of these chocolate lava cakes over the years. I’m not exaggerating. They are a deceptively impressive dessert to impress guests with. The chocolate cake batter is quick to make. The little cakes are quick to bake. Toppings rotate with the seasons. Peppermint ice cream for Christmas for example. Fresh raspberries and cream for Valentine’s Day. Pumpkin ice cream and crushed heath bars for fall. You get the idea. But when you only want to make two of these cakes, it kind of seems silly to turn on your big oven. So I decided to see if I could use my original recipe to make Air Fryer Lava Cakes. And voila, they are perfection!
How to make Air Fryer Lava Cakes
Melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave. Whisk together the eggs and sugar. Combine the chocolate mixture with the egg mixture. Sift the flour and salt over the bowl. Mix until blended. Grease two ramekins and evenly divide the cake batter between the two. Place the ramekins into the basket of the air fryer. Bake the cakes in the air fryer at 375 degrees F for 8 – 10 minutes. Use oven mitts to remove the baking dishes from the air fryer basket. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edge of each cake. Invert the baking dishes onto serving plates.
How to top Air Fryer Lava Cakes
- Ice Cream – different flavors depending on the season
- Crushed Candy – Heath Bars are my favorite
- Whipped Cream
- Fresh Fruit
- I use a Philips XXL Air Fryer for all my recipe testing
- Ramekins for baking the lava cakes
- Bittersweet chocolate bars
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Air Fryer Lava Cakes
- Air Fryer
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 4 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 lg eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large microwave-safe bowl combine the butter and chocolate. Be sure and cut the butter into smaller pieces and break the chocolate into smaller pieces. Microwave on high power for 60 - 90 seconds until the butter is completely melted. Whisk to combine the melted butter and chocolate.
- In a separate smaller bowl combine the eggs and sugar. Whisk until the mixture is looking frothy.
- Slowly stream the egg and sugar mixture into the melted butter and chocolate mixture. Stir with a spatula until completely combined.
- Sift the flour and salt into the bowl with the chocolate batter. Stir until no streaks of flour remain.
- Grease the ramekins and divide the batter evenly between the two.
- Place the ramekins inside the air fryer basket.
- Bake the lava cakes at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, or until the cakes have puffed up and look just baked on top.
- Carefully remove the dishes from the air fryer basket.
- Allow the cakes to cool for a bit. Run a sharp knife around the edges of each dish. Invert the ramekins onto serving plates and gently let the cakes fall onto the plates. Top each cake and serve immediately.