Learn how to perfectly cook three types of frozen hash browns in the air fryer – shredded, diced and hash brown patties.
Hashbrowns are a terrific side for breakfast. But they’re so much more versatile than just a breakfast dish. Cubed hash brown potatoes provide the foundation for a hash, which can be mixed with any number of leftovers and called dinner. And hashbrown patties can be a stand in for bread to make a gluten-free version of avocado toast. Potatoes provide a starting point for so many economical and simple meals.
Are you new to air frying? I have so many air fryer recipes here on Foodtastic Mom! Recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Lots of recipes for beginners and that are kid-friendly too. Be sure and find all of those recipes here: Best Air Fryer Recipes.
Why this recipe works
Frozen hashbrowns are just so convenient. The prep is done for you, making your path to a side dish or main meal even easier. Have you ever cooked shredded hashbrowns in a non-stick skillet? I’ve tried before and made a mushy, sticky mess. It takes a lot of oil and a lot of time to pan fry frozen hashbrowns. Your air fryer is perfect for cooking frozen hash brown potatoes!
Are air fryer hashbrowns healthy?
Potatoes provide a good source of protein, vitamin C, iron, zinc, fiber, potassium, calcium and other vitamins and minerals. The carbohydrates in the hash browns can provide your body with plenty of energy that can easily be burned off and can help get you through the day.
The air fryer cooks frozen hashbrowns to perfection, tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, with little to no extra added oil. Stick with a recommended serving size and yes, air fryer hashbrowns are healthy.
Ingredients for air fryer hashbrowns
- Frozen Hashbrowns – your air fryer can cook all three types of frozen hash brown potatoes – shredded, cubed and patties
- Vegetable Oil – this is optional for the cubed and shredded potatoes and not necessary at all for cooking the potato patties. I find a little oil mixed with the shredded or cubed potatoes helps to add flavor. Avocado oil or canola oil are my two favorite choices. I never recommend a commercial spray oil like Pam. The propellents can damage the non-stick coating of your air fryer basket over time. Instead, put oil in a mister like this one.
- Salt and Pepper – season to taste after cooking the potatoes in the air fryer. Or feel free to add some additional seasoning to the potatoes before cooking, like garlic or onion powder, dried parsley or paprika.
Instructions for air fryer hashbrowns
Shredded hash brown potatoes
Toss about half a package of frozen shredded potatoes with about a tablespoon of oil. Add the potatoes to the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 350 degrees F for 14 – 16 minutes. Stir the hashbrowns halfway through cooking time to ensure even browning of the potatoes.
If you want to cook the whole package, just repeat this process for both batches of potatoes.
Diced hash brown potatoes
Place half the package of frozen diced potatoes in a bowl and stir together with about a tablespoon of oil. Add the potatoes to the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 375 degrees F for 16-18 minutes. Stir the potatoes halfway through cooking time to ensure even cooking.
These potatoes won’t get as brown in color as the shredded potatoes. You want to make sure they are nice and tender on the inside. Trust me, they taste really good!
Hash brown patties
Place three or four hashbrown patties in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook them at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Flip them over and continue to cook them for an additional 2 – 4 minutes, or until they are nice and crispy.
I like my shredded hashbrowns simple with a side of ketchup. I topped the cubed hash brown potatoes with cooked bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and chives – similar to a loaded baked potato.
For the potato patties, I’ve pictured them topped with mashed avocado, fresh herbs and a sprinkle of Tajin. They are also delicious topped with a fried egg.
And here’s some delicious hash recipes for your potatoes:
If you have any leftovers, place them in an air tight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat your potatoes in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 5 – 7 minutes.
- I use my Philips XXL Air Fryer to test all of my air fryer recipes
- Metal tongs for stirring or flipping the hashbrowns in the air fryer
- Oil mister for lightly spraying the frozen potatoes with oil
More air fryer recipes
- Breakfast Sausage in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls
- Air Fried Breakfast Sandwich
- Frozen Biscuits in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Quiche
Air Fryer Hashbrowns
- 1 Air Fryer
- 16 oz frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 16 oz frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 frozen hashbrown patties
- Toss about half a package of frozen shredded potatoes with about a tablespoon of oil. Add the potatoes to the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 350 degrees F for 14 - 16 minutes. Stir the hashbrowns halfway through cooking time to ensure even browning of the potatoes.
- Mix half the package of frozen diced potatoes with about a tablespoon of oil. Add the potatoes to the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 375 degrees F for 16-18 minutes. Stir the potatoes halfway through cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- These potatoes won't get as brown in color as the shredded potatoes. You want to make sure they are nice and tender on the inside. They will still be crispy on the outside. They just won't be as browned.
- Place three or four hashbrown patties in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook them at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Flip them over and continue to cook them for an additional 2 - 4 minutes, or until the are nice and crispy.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (Amazon Associate), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on when you click to purchase.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN to Pinterest and print this recipe!
Love that this recipes includes three different ways to cook hashbrowns!
Thanks Tina, enjoy!!
This is such a great recipe—they turned out so crispy! Will totally be making these on the reg.
I’ve been eating a hashbrown patty topped with a fried egg on many mornings since publishing this recipe. So quick, simple and filling. Keeps me full well past the lunch hour.
This is a much better way to cook frozen hashbrowns than on the stovetop! Mine turned out perfectly and it was so much easier to make too!
So glad these were a success for you!
Gina Abernathy says
My husband is a meat and potato person, so this recipe is just right for him.
What a great idea to use air fryer to make hash browns. Great idea for breakfast.
I simply love this way to make hash browns – they came out absolutely fabulous!
So glad to hear this, thank you!
We cooked hashbrown patties in an air fryer for the first time today and they are absolutely gorgeous – so much crispier than the over- version!
Yep, they are perfection!
I love all variations of hash brown with patties being my favourite. I need to try air frying them very soon.
I personally don’t make hash browns any other way now!
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
It’s great to have the guidelines for cooking these in the airfryer. Takes out the guesswork and all the mess too.
Happy I could help!
What a game changer to make the hashbrowns in the air fryer. Worked perfectly!
Happy you enjoyed them!