Chicken and rice are a pretty classic combination and this Chicken Tarragon with its bright taste from the fresh herb and lots of lemon is perfect as we head into spring… at least we’re supposed to be heading that way. Today in Cincinnati we woke up to more snow on the ground and flakes flying sideways throughout the day. Hopefully this means March will leave like a lamb.
This recipe is courtesy of my mother-in-law and it is actually what my husband made (all by himself) for me on our very first date. He scored major points with me for that, as you can imagine! So this recipe does have sentimental meaning to me… in addition to being a tasty and quick option for dinner.
I hope you enjoy it as much as our family has over the years. I serve it with Alton Brown’s recipe for Baked Brown Rice. Stick it in the oven and forget it as you prepare and even clean up your cooking dishes for the Chicken Tarragon. It’s a great recipe too!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 2 T. grapeseed oil
- Splash white wine
- 1 can low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 lemon slices, quartered
- 1 T. fresh tarragon, minced
- Place diced chicken in large plastic bag, pour in flour, salt and pepper and shake well to coat. Meanwhile heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add shallots and saute for a minute. Add floured and seasoned chicken to the skillet and leave to cook on one side for 5 minutes. Using metal tongs, flip the chicken and allow to brown on the other side, about 5 minutes more.
- Add a splash of white wine and allow to cook for about 30 seconds. Add the can of chicken broth and quartered lemon slices and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in fresh tarragon and salt to taste.
- Remove lemon slices before serving. Scoop chicken and sauce over brown rice and enjoy.
- 1 1/2 c. brown rice
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 1 t. salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place rice into an 8-inch glass baking dish.
- Bring water, butter and salt just to a boil in a covered saucepan. Pour the boiling water over the rice, stir to combine, cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake on middle rack of oven for 1 hour.
- Remove cover, fluff with fork and serve rice immediately.