I told my little girl I was going to call these Hannah Banana Muffins from now on and she giggled uncontrollably, then caught her breath and said, “Oh yeah, baby!” She and her brother crack me up every day. I’ve called her Hannah Banana since she was a baby. She doesn’t really like it when other kids call her that, as I was informed by her last year during preschool, but she does really like it when her teachers, dad and I use it as a term of endearment.
Hannah Banana Muffins
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. mashed very ripe bananas about 2 large
- 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. toasted chopped pecans
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Stir together mashed bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low-speed just until blended after each addition. (Do not over beat.) Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Sprinkle evenly with pecans... or not.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.