We have a Panera less than a mile from our house. Our street was not kid or pedestrian friendly until recently when the township decided to gift us with beautiful new sidewalks. I cannot tell you how much happiness a brand-new sidewalk can bring… we can ride our bikes now with our 8 and 6 year olds to get ice cream, to the park, to our YMCA and even to the grocery! And I can feel (if I allow myself to be really delusional) as if I’m Parisian, walking up to Panera to get myself a fresh-baked baguette. It’s the little things with me, seriously.
Last Saturday I was lucky to have a break without the kiddos, and so I laced up my sneakers and went on a morning power-walk, with a stop toward the end at our Panera. I ordered their Mediterranean Egg-White Sandwich and an extra-big cup of water with lemon. Feeling all smug and healthy, I texted my husband back at home saying how delicious the sandwich was and I needed to make my own. So, here we are. I thought about crunching the numbers to see how much money I was saving on a homemade sandwich vs. Panera’s version, but I was an English major for a reason. Just know that the ingredients can all hangout in your fridge/freezer, so it’s a convenient and healthy option to start your mornings from home. Plus, homemade does taste better… it just does.
Copycat Panera Mediterranean Breakfast Sandwich
- One small Ciabatta or other fresh roll
- 2 Egg Whites
- Cracked Pepper
- One slice Slow-Roasted Tomato
- 1 T. prepared Pesto store-bought or fresh if you have it
- 1 slice White Cheddar Cheese
- Small handful Baby Spinach
- Split the roll and place cheese on bottom half. Lightly broil the half with the cheese in the toaster oven if desired. Meanwhile, spray a microwave-safe ramekin or coffee mug generously with cooking spray. Pour egg whites into the dish and cover. Microwave for 45-60 seconds, depending on your microwave. Place the tomato slice on top of the cooked egg and nuke it for 10 more seconds (to get the chill of the refrigerator off).
- Place cooked egg and tomato on top of cheese-covered bottom half of roll. Top with a sprinkle of fresh-cracked pepper. Spread the pesto on the top half of the roll. Place a small handful of baby spinach on top of the tomato, put your breakfast sandwich together and enjoy!