The key to perfect Air Fryer Tater Tots is tossing them with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. They come out tender and crispy, just like deep fried from a restaurant.
A lot of people look up how to make tater tots in the air fryer. I can tell you from experience that frozen foods air fry at different temps and times than baking them in the oven. I ruined frozen french fries once in my air fryer. They came out rock hard and had to be thrown in the trash can. So that’s why I’m giving you a “recipe” for Air Fryer Tater Tots. They come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. So much better tasting than baking them in the oven! And they rival tots that are deep fried, hot and fresh like you would order out.
Are Air Fryer Tater Tots Healthy?
It depends on how you define healthy. If you stick to a serving size (according to the package) they are relatively low in calories. To ensure perfect tater tots, toss them in one tablespoon of vegetable oil before adding them to the basket. The texture is amazing. And, it’s certainly better than dunking them in a deep fryer. Air fryer tater tots taste far superior to baking them in the oven. I like to dip my tater tots in fry sauce.
How to Air Fry Tater Tots
My air fryer can air fry a half a bag of frozen tater tots at one time. Place the frozen tater tots in a bowl. Add one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Stir to coat. Don’t use cooking spray instead. The spray can damage the non-stick coating on your air fryer basket. Add the tater tots to the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Open the basket and shake to move the tater tots around. Air fry at 375 for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. I don’t find it necessary to season them with salt. I also like making loaded tater tots – topping them shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream and chopped green onion.
- I use a Philips Air Fryer XXL to test all of my recipes
- There’s no need to preheat your air fryer for this recipe
- Don’t be tempted to replace the vegetable oil with cooking spray. The spray will eventually damage the non-stick coating on your air fryer basket.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fryer
- 1/2 bag frozen tater tots
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place the frozen tater tots in a clean bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil. Stir well to coat.
- Dump the tater tots into the air fryer basket. Shake so the tots are in a single layer.
- Air fry the tater tots at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. Open the basket and shake to move the tots around.
- Air fry the tots at 375 for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- Serve immediately.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Southwestern Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Burgers
- Twice Baked Potatoes