This Ultimate Chex Party Mix is perfect for snacking throughout the holiday season – the combination of ingredients and seasonings really take this snack mix over the top.
I make a lot of Chex party mix between Halloween and Christmas. The store-bought bags of this mix just don’t hold a candle to a homemade mix. Plus I completely change around the components of the original box recipe to make this the Ultimate Chex Party Mix.
First of all I’ve always thought the ratio of Chex cereal to the other ingredients was off. I mean I know the point of the original recipe is to get people to buy the cereal. But since this is my recipe I can do what I want. I like the rice and corn Chex the best, so I only use those. Then I add white cheddar Cheez-Its (because cheese makes everything better), bagel chips, buttery pretzels and whole cashews. I was never a fan of mixed nuts. If I’m going to make my own snack mix then I’m going to spurge on nuts and only include ones I love and I think goes best with everything else. For me that’s unsalted, whole cashews. There’s plenty of salt in everything else.
As for the butter and seasoning mix, I change that too. I add real lemon juice for one thing. Plus I don’t add as much garlic and onion powder – because seasoned salt already has that in it. And I also add Everything But the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s. But if you can’t find that – just add a little more seasoned salt – I make note of that in the recipe below.
Tips for Ultimate Chex Party Mix:
- This recipe is a guide and I’m encouraging you to experiment with ingredients you like best. Add peanuts instead of cashews, for example. Use all whole wheat Chex cereal if you want. Add bugles or corn nuts. Make your own ultimate mix – don’t be tied to what the box says.
- I usually make a double batch in a roasting pan similar to this one.
- Gift some of this snack mix to friends and neighbors in Mason jars.
- This snack mix will keep for up to one week in an air-tight container like this one.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Ultimate Chex Party Mix
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 3 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups Snyder's butter snap pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted whole cashews
- 1 1/2 cups white cheddar Cheez-Its I've used the baby Swiss flavor before too
- 1 1/2 cups plain bagel chips I use Stacy's brand
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Trader Joe's everything but the bagel seasoning if you can't find this seasoning just increase the amount of seasoned salt by 1 teaspoon
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Stir together all the snack ingredients (Chex cereal, pretzels, cashews, Cheez-Its and bagel chips) in a large pan. A disposable foil roasting pan works well for this.
- Stir together the melted butter, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and all seasonings in a glass measuring cup. Pour the butter and seasoning mixture evenly over the snack mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Bake the snack mix in the oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Allow to cool. Store in air-tight containers until ready to serve.
More snack recipes:
Yum! This recipe brings back memories of my grandma in the kitchen making huge bowls of Chex mix every fall.
I love food that brings back memories!
I always make my own chex mix during the holidays, I’ll have to start making some soon because yours is making me crave it!
I’m happy to hear this!
Love the bagel seasoning! I’ve never seen it used before!!!
It’s worth trying if you have a Trader Joe’s close by!
Chex mix is so addicting, and this homemade recipe looks incredible! Would be such a fun snack with the holiday season upon us. Definitely making a batch soon!
Thanks so much Amanda!
Best snack ever! Chex mix is such a classic.
Yep, I’ve always loved (homemade) Chex mix from the time I was little and my Mom would make it.