This is the best tomato soup I’ve ever made. Sometimes a simple dinner of tomato soup that is at once tart, sweet, smoky and hearty, paired with an unadorned grilled cheese sandwich, is just what is needed for a weeknight dinner. This is home cooking with virtually no effort and very inexpensive ingredients. But it’s SO good! The holidays seem inflated more and more each year so there’s an inevitable deflating in January. Looking at my last few recipe posts I can see the trend. Simple and back to basics. I like it. Eating simply is just as satisfying and much less intimidating. Hopefully you agree.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Another benefit of this soup? Leftovers are going to be used as pizza sauce! I haven’t posted a pizza recipe in a long time and I’m using a different crust recipe than I used to. I will share a simple tutorial soon on how to do a make-your-own pizza night. Caleb has actually said, when asked by some of our friends, that his favorite pizza is whatever I make. That might be one of the best compliments I’ve ever received – from anyone!
As for this soup, make it on a night when you are craving comfort but you are short on time – and come back and let me know if I am right in saying that it is the best!
The Best Tomato Soup
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley minced
- 2 T. light brown sugar
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. liquid smoke
- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, carrot and parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softening, about 8 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and cook one minute more.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried thyme, liquid smoke, crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and blend until smooth using an immersion blender.
- Return the soup to the heat and stir in the cream. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt if necessary.
- Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley and grilled cheese sandwiches on the side.