I’m in full Halloween mode at this point but these brownies were actually for Bengals tailgating last Sunday. Orange and black stripes you know! But still festive for Halloween if you aren’t into football or the Benglas.
I’d been hinting to my husband that I wanted to see a Bengals game in person for my birthday gift and he delivered! We arrived to Lot 1 at about 9:30 am with some friends and had a blast. I’ve never seen so many re-habbed buses and ambulances painted to look like our favorite NFL team.
And boy did we see a great game! The Bengals were trailing the Seahawks by 17 points and they managed to come back to win it in overtime. The stadium was LOUD and the atmosphere electric. After years of being known as “The Bungles” it’s a welcome change for sure.
As for these brownies, I took one of my most popular brownie recipes and re-made it for the month of October. Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies appropriate in the summer for Reds (baseball) games have now become Pumpkin Swirl Brownies that are super moist with the perfect amount of pumpkin to chocolate ratio. Whether you are hosting football fans or trick-or-treaters you’re going to love these festive brownies.
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- With a hand or stand mixer, whip together the cream cheese, pumpkin, one egg, 2 tablespoons of sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a small glass bowl, microwave the stick of butter and bittersweet chocolate together until melted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir with a spatula until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 eggs, 1 cup of sugar, vanilla and salt. Whisk in the melted butter and chocolate mixture. Fold the flour in with a spatula.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Place spoonfuls of the pumpkin cream cheese batter on top of the brownie batter and swirl lightly together with a butter knife.
- Bake the brownies for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Slice and serve.