My Pizza Dip is loaded with cheese, pepperoni and sausage and is made for the slow cooker, so the cheese stays hot and melty.
I hadn’t made pizza dip before but I decided it would be a kid-friendly appetizer to take to the New Year’s Eve party we attended. When researching recipes to try, I discovered feedback about the cheese not staying hot and melted if the dip sits out for too long. And since our dip was going to be sitting out for several hours I knew I needed to make this dip in my slow cooker.
Why is this pizza dip the best?
I think this is the best pizza dip because it includes both crispy pepperoni and spicy sausage. The key to delicious pepperoni in the slow cooker is cooking it in the skillet first and then draining the grease. Crispy pepperoni is way better than soggy, overly greasy pepperoni. You need a skillet for browning the sausage anyway, so it’s not dirtying another dish to also cook the pepperoni. And if you read in the comments, some people use their air fryer or microwave to cook the pepperoni. I love when my readers give me tips to make my recipes even better, more user-friendly!
What is Pizza Dip made of?
- Cream Cheese – use one, 8 ounce block of softened cream cheese to help hold all the other cheese together for the cheesy base of this dip
- Mozzarella Cheese – I prefer buying a ball or block of cheese and shredding it myself because I think it tastes and melts better
- Parmesan Cheese – I prefer the grated (not shredded) Parmesan I find in the specialty cheese section, but the green can works well too
- Italian Salad Dressing Mix – I use Good Seasons brand in this recipe
- Spicy Italian Sausage – Use a 16 ounce roll of uncooked sausage, Bob Evans brand is my personal favorite – and if you don’t like spice, use a mild Italian sausage
- Pizza Sauce – use a 13.5 ounce jar of sauce, I try and find a brand with a lower sugar content
- Mini Pepperoni – in this case, I think size does matter – the mini pepperoni is better for dipping
- Mini Naan Bread Dippers – These are a good quality bread that pairs well with this dip, plus the size is perfect for dipping
- Garlic Bread – Make this pizza dip into a meal by piling it on top of thick slices of baked from frozen garlic bread
Can I add other toppings?
Top this dip any way you like based on your personal taste preference. Sliced black or green olives, chopped green bell peppers, cooked onions or mushrooms, all would make great additions or substitutions to this dip recipe.
What do you dip in pizza dip?
I like using mini Naan bread dippers and baked from frozen garlic bread slices. Sliced green bell pepper slices are a terrific, low-carb dipping option. Bread sticks or crackers would work well too.
How long does pizza dip last?
Keep it in your slow cooker on the warm setting and it will last for a couple of hours at a party.
What size slow cooker to use?
I use a 6-quart Crock-Pot to test all of my recipes on Foodtastic Mom. For a single recipe of this dip, a 4-quart slow cooker would be even more ideal.
Can you freeze pizza dip?
I don’t think this dip would freeze well because of the cream cheese layer. And based on the reader comments, it is so popular at gatherings that leftovers are scarce. Any leftovers you might have, store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Microwave to re-heat the dip to serve.
How many calories are in pizza dip?
Based on eight servings (and not including dippers) this pizza dip recipe is 196 calories per serving.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- slow cooker
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded and divided
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 packet Italian dressing mix I used Good Seasons brand
- 16 oz spicy Italian sausage
- 1 jar (13.5 oz) pizza sauce
- 1 pkg (5 oz) mini pepperoni
- Naan or garlic bread for dipping
- With a hand or stand mixer, combine the softened cream cheese with one cup of the shredded mozzarella, Parmesan and Italian seasoning.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the pepperoni until starting to crisp. Drain the pepperoni and wipe the skillet clean.
- In the same skillet, brown the sausage and add the pizza sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Grease the inside of a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly into the bottom of the slow cooker insert. Top the cream cheese mixture with the sausage and pizza sauce. Top the sauce with the remaining one cup of mozzarella cheese. Top the cheese with the crisp pepperoni.
- Cook on LOW heat for at least one hour before serving. Serve the dip with Naan bread or garlic bread for dipping.
My family and friends will devour this fantastic dip in no time! It’s a perfect appetizer for any occasion.
This pizza dip is definitely a crowd-pleasing recipe. Thanks for the review!
I made this for a family gathering. It was the one dish that no one could stop eating. Adults and kids beg for it now
So happy to hear this! Thanks for taking the time to rate and review. Happy Holidays!
I can’t wait to try this dip, I love the suggestion to add some olives and mushrooms for extra flavor. Thanks for the recipe!
I am so ready to start dipping now. This recipe is absolutely amazing – simple and easy!
It really is. Thank you Mahy!
This pizza dip is so tasty!! So easy to make and delicious!
Wonderful news. Thank you for taking the time to come back and comment!
Tayler Ross says
This pizza dip is a family favorite! We make it all the time and everyone loves it!
So happy to hear this Tayler. Thank you!
Well this pizza dip was a huge hit and we will definitely be making it again! The kids especially loved it.
My kids love it too. Pretty much everyone I have served it to has raved about it. Gotta love a crowd pleaser!
Oh yum! I love how the cheese stays hot and melty with the use of the slow cooker. The flavors sound fantastic with the combination of pepperoni and Italian sausage.
The slow cooker is really the way to go when it comes to pizza dip. I’m so happy you enjoyed it!
Emily Flint says
I have to confess, I made this for my son but I ate a lot of it too! It was so good and the perfect dish for our party! YUM!
It’s a crowd-pleaser for all ages. So happy you both enjoyed it!
This pizza dip was so amazing and I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make!! My kids absolutely devoured it with some pizza bread for dipping!
Great! I always love getting feedback the kids love my recipes too!
If I want to double or triple the recipe, would I just do extra layers so tithe won’t have the parts too thick or not?
That’s a good point. Yes, I think you should do two layers of everything.