This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #OneOfAKindFan
This recipe is based on what I once thought was a one-of-a-kind appetizer called bacon roll ups. Bread, cream cheese and bacon are rolled together and baked until crispy. They are an indulgence for sure.
But with the advent of Google and a simple search of “bacon roll ups”, wouldn’t you know that there are multiple entries for this tailgating-worthy recipe? So not so much one-of-a-kind anymore, but still just as delicious.
Now thanks to Dr Pepper I have actually been able to make this recipe one-of-a-kind with a Dr Pepper glaze. I’ve mentioned a few times on the blog how much of a football fan I am. Weekends at our house are taken up with college games on Saturdays and pro games on Sundays. I’m not sure how completely unique that makes us but we have a lot of fun with it.
Aside from being unique, these bacon roll ups with Dr Pepper glaze are a snap to make. The glaze is a can of Dr Pepper reduced with some brown sugar and fresh orange juice. The dark rye bread is cut and spread with cream cheese (mixed with some fresh tarragon) rolled and baked until crispy.
The salty bacon and sweet Dr Pepper glaze are a pretty stellar combination that will have your fellow football fanatics tackling each other for the last one. I picked up my Dr Pepper at Target.
- 1 (12 oz.) can Dr Pepper
- 1/4 c. dark brown sugar
- juice of 1/2 orange
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 T. fresh tarragon, minced
- 8 slices dark rye bread, crust removed and sliced in half
- 8 slices bacon, sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together the cream cheese and tarragon.
- Refer to pictures above and place one half slice of bacon on a flat surface, top with one slice of bread and spread the bread with about a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- Repeat with the remaining 15 bacon and bread slices and cream cheese.
- Place the bacon roll ups on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until bacon is crispy.
- While bacon roll ups are baking, add the Dr Pepper and brown sugar to a shallow sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes until the glaze is reduced by about half. Remove from heat and stir in the orange juice.
- Brush the glaze over the bacon roll ups and serve warm.