I’m going to wrap up this week with one final post that might help you with your Mother’s Day celebrations this weekend. I’ve shared a lot of ideas and recipes this week, but after all Mom is in my blog’s name, so I’m just showing loyalty to my people.
As soon as I saw the picture of this cake from Cooking Light come across my Twitter feed late last week, I knew I had to make it. I was in charge of the breakfast snacks at my Christian Moms group at church this week, so I brought this cake along with fresh strawberries and real whipped cream.
After I was finished slicing about 6 cups of fresh strawberries the evening before our meeting, I was reading bedtime stories to my daughter and she happened to get a whiff of my hands. She proceeded to grab one of my hands, stuff her nose in its palm and keep it there as she breathed deeply, asking me how I got my hands to smell so yummy. It was pretty cute. Maybe you had to be there, but this is one of those little moments that makes me so happy to be a mom. Happy Mother’s Day!
Strawberry Glazed Pound Cake
for the cake
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. canola oil
- 6 T. unsalted butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 t. lemon zest
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. milk
for the glaze
- 2 c. fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 T. corn starch
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a standard bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the sugar, butter and oil and beat with hand mixer on medium high speed for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and lemon zest and juice. Beat on low until well combined.
- In separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the sour cream and milk.
- Add half the flour mixture to butter mixture and fold with spatula to combine. Add sour cream and milk mixture to batter and fold to combine. Add the remaining flour mixture and fold until batter is just combined.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake 50-55 minutes or just until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto cooling rack.
- While cake is baking, combine the strawberries, sugar, corn starch and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to let it simmer for 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and strain the mixture through a metal strainer.
- After cake is removed from pan, pour about half the glaze evenly over the top of the cake. Reserve the rest of the glaze to pour over the completely cooled cake right before serving.