This Slow Cooker Pork Cubano Sliders recipe is sponsored by the Ohio Pork Council. As always all opinions are mine alone.
Sliders in general make great at-home tailgating food. Pork Cubano Sliders that begin with a perfectly seasoned pork shoulder that is slow cooked to fork-tender amazingness make particularly good tailgating fare. But don’t fret if you are not a football fan yourself. These little sandwiches are just begging to be made for most any occasion.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
So why take the time to slow cook some pork just for sandwiches? The point of slow cooking is hands off time. Sure you have to plan ahead. But once you layer the onion, citrus, pork and seasonings in the slow cooker you can forget about it while you sleep. That’s what I did.
Watch how to make Slow Cooker Pork Cubano Sliders:
Shred the meat and it will keep in the fridge for a couple of days for when you are ready to assemble your sliders. Plus you’ll have leftovers. I made some simple rice and served the salty pork on top of it with just a dollop of sour cream in each bowl. Trust me, a simple meal never tasted so good!
Pork is just so delicious when slow cooked. Well seasoned fat just melts into the meat and creates the most incredible flavor. From there you can create most anything – sliders, bowls, burritos, nachos, etc. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Pork Cubano Sliders
- 2 lbs pork shoulder pork butt or "roasting pork" are good too
- 1 small orange
- 1 lime
- 1 small onion
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 slider buns
- 12 slices swiss cheese
- 6 slices ham
- 12 slices sweet pickles
- yellow mustard
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Peel the onion and slice into thick slices. Wash and slice the orange and lime into thick slices. Layer the onion and citrus slices along the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Stir together the salt, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne.
- Place the pork on top of the onion and citrus slices. Sprinkle evenly with the seasoning mixture.
- Cook on LOW for 8 - 10 hours.
- Remove the pork and shred with two forks. Remove any visible fat.
- Strain the liquid. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker and pour the drained liquid over the shredded pork. Set the slow cooker to low heat and cover.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the slider buns in half. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place six slices of Swiss cheese on the bottom half of the slider buns. Top with six slices of ham. Top with half of the slow cooked pork. Reserve the other half of the pork for another meal - or double the slider recipe.
- Top the pork with the 12 pickle slices (one per slider) and drizzle evenly with yellow mustard. Top with the remaining six slices of Swiss cheese. Place the top half of the buns on top of the cheese.
- Melt the butter and brush over the tops of the sandwiches.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Slice and serve.